Apple - Mac mini (See what I'm talking about)
OK, you lucky devils finally get my take on the new Mac Mini.

Marky likey. I want one, but to make it do what I would want it for, I would need to add signifigantly to the $499 price point, even beyond the point that is now available. My biggest beef: 256MB RAM standard. Please, Apple. That's a pretty transparent way to charge crazy amounts for you to put in extra RAM so it's USABLE.

That and the 32MB, 4-year-old video card (that, as far as I know, can't be upgraded) are my big beefs. Of course, in such a small enclosed space, heat would be an issue, so it makes sense they're not putting a GeForce4 in there, but still... COME ON!

What I'd really like to see is a Firewire input for DVR functions.

My additions to make this a nice mac: max out the RAM (I think 1GB is the most they're allowing. Sigh). Upgrade the HDD (only 40 and 80GB options? Blah). Bluetooth. WiFi (Airport express, or whateverthefuck you call it over there). Superdrive.

Dream upgrades: NICER VIDEO CARD. FireWire 800. MORE RAM. Bigger HDD.

OK, OK, I know it's meant to be entry level, and I'm asking for something it's not supposed to be. Conceeded. I guess I just described my ultimate Mac Mini.

UPDATE: I priced "my" Mac Mini with WiFi/Bluetooth, bigger HDD and faster processor, 1GB RAM, wireless KB and Mouse, and the SuperDrive. It came to a little under $1400. FORGET IT! I'll buy a new bike and paint one of my PCs white.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home