The best show you've never seen. (See what I'm talking about)

WHAT: "Peep Show"
WHERE: BBC America
WHEN: Late night, Late-late night. (Check BBCA link above)
WHY: After getting enough of The Office, my roommate and I were treated to our first ever GOOD TiVo recommendation (when TiVo automatically records shows it thinks you might be interested in). Of course, my curiousity was piqued with the name alone (I thought it must have been some HBO special), but I was pleasantly surprised that it's a (very, very funny) serial comedy (otherwise known as: sitcom).

Basically, it follows around these two roommates, Jeremy (unemployed stoner "musician") and Mark (uptight office drone who is chronically obsessed with uninterested workmate Sophie), and is shot almost entirely from someone's point of view (Mark's, Jeremy's, or other character's - so we "see" what they see, sometimes hearing what they're thinking).

It's impossible to give it the credit it deserves here, so my recommendation is to give two episodes a try. I say two because you have to get to know the characters a little and the style of the show, before you can really appreciate just how freaking funny it really is. Mark and Jeremy are so horribly pathetic it almost hurts to watch sometimes.

My favorite quote from the first episode we saw (just on TiVo again, and even better now that we "know" the characters): Mark and Jeremy decide to go "Strangers on a Train" and "get" each other's enemies. While Jeremy is crank-calling Sophie (I can tell already this isn't half as funny in the telling as it is in the watching), for Mark, as an aside he notes:

"It's payback time. And she's paying back in fear dollars." Trying to sound tough and cool, managing only to sound just pathetic enough to make you laugh at him.

I love this show. Seriously, put it on your TiVo subscription. I can almost guarantee it won't conflict with anything. I checked and the next showtimes are at 9:30pm, 2:30am, and 4:30am. No wonder it doesn't have the following of The Office.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home