Email from state.gov
OK, I'm taking a survey here. WTF should I do?

I just got an email from someone with a *very* similar name to mine, with the email origination from state.gov (the US Department of State. Yes, I checked the header - it's legit).

It was very simple: subject is "NPT RevCon provisional list of participants", the complete text of the email is "save for London", and there's a PDF attached. No, I have not (and will not) open the PDF.

So I asked my good friend, Google, what this NPT RevCon might be. Oh, yeah. The Nuclear Non-Proliferation Treaty Review Conference.

WTF do I do? It's pretty obvious this guy is trying to email himself this PDF from work (strangely, the header says the message is addressed to mark.fitz -=at=- gmail dot com, when my address is markfitz. How did it get to me? Does gmail allow "dot" names in their email addresses? Did GMail screw this up, or is this dude a complete idiot?

Anyway, please leave a comment. Should I: do nothing, email the dude, or email GMail? Or something else?

Let me know.

6 Comments:

Blogger Hutch said...

I say email the guy. I'm sure he'll take it up with Google. Or the State Dept might take it up with him.

posted at 11:20 AM

 
Blogger Dana said...

Agreed--just try and e-mail the guy. I'm sure he'd like to know his stuff is hitting other destinations on the Internets. :)

posted at 11:23 AM

 
Blogger Hutch said...

And, yes, gmail clearly allows dot email addresses. You email me at one everyday!

posted at 11:27 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

email the dude...

"hi i think you sent this to me by mistake"

and leave uit at that.

it's his own incompetence that allowed that to happen.

also, while sparky doesn't seem to be the brightest bulb in the chandelier, i would assume he's not that dumb as to send highly confidential docs via the interweb to a webmail address

posted at 11:31 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

LET ME KNOW IF IT MENTIONS WHAT HAPPENS TO CTU IN THE FINAL EPISODE OF 24

posted at 1:46 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Forward it to Greg! :)

posted at 2:04 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home