157.9 miles...
...but let's just call it 160 - that's easier.

The first loop (~125 miles) was, I guess, both harder and easier than expected. Harder because for about the first 20 I just didn't feel right on the saddle, but my legs felt strong and form was good. Apparently Matt and I went about it all wrong, but as newbies what do you expect? He has a faster ideal pace than I do, I think, and that may have had something to do with it as well.

Anyway, at about mile 80 I was feeling pretty well spent, and wasn't sure I would be able to make it all the way. Add to that the fact that Matt and I were resting longer than anybody else at the rest stops, and that we were leaving each rest stop as they were closing for the day (meaning if anyone came in after a certain time, they would be pulled from the course), we weren't sure our pace was alright. When we left the final rest stop, at about mile 97, we weren't certain we would finish in time at all (eventually we found our own pace and Matt pulled in to the finish a few minutes ahead of me, I pulled in a few minutes before the big loop was closed).

After that, about a 30-minute rest (a luxury considering how we felt rushed after the first stop), and then continued on the second loop, about 23 miles long. This one wasn't such a challenge, as we knew that halfway through the loop there was a checkpoint/rest stop we had to hit, so it was really (in my mind) two 12-mile rides - not too bad. We got in a small paceline at the beginning of the loop, but after a couple miles I dropped off because I didn't want to burn myself out, and was committed at that time to finishing this loop and moving on to the short overnight loop.

I stopped at the checkpoint (at this point I had ridden about 140 miles for the day), and just stopped to have them mark off my progress, have some water, and moved on. I got in from this loop with about 30 minutes to spare (making up time, actually), and from there we were shuttled to the final, small loop (a distance of 7.5 miles).

My goal, to complete one of each loop, was met 12 hours and 58 minutes after I started at 8am that morning (just before 9pm I got off the bike for good). My computer said I had gone a shade over 160 miles, so I guess it needs a little calibrating, but overall not too inaccurate. It also tells me I spent an actual 10 and a half hours on the bike, which adds up to about 1.5 hours of rest (which makes sense). Not too bad.

But you should have seen some of these people. I felt like I accomplished NOTHING - people literally would stop an hour after I got off the bike for good for "lunch". Eat, shower, put on some fresh clothes, and then pedal through the night. Truly remarkable.

Time to begin training for next year. :)

PS: Matt met his goal of 200 miles, coming in, I think, at about 205. Congrats, Matt!

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Amazing! That must have been quite a ride!

posted at 9:19 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

MY BUTT HURTS !!

posted at 12:47 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home