UDDER Century - COMPLETE (See what I'm talking about)
Well, the last remaining training hurdle (and really the ONLY planned hurdle, other than riding as much as possible leading up to this) has been completed prior to the 24-hour challenge.

From the time we began riding (8:30am) to the time we finished (just before 4:00pm), took about 7.5 hours, but I think our time on the bike (left my cyclo-computer at home) was more like 5.5 - not bad for my first Century. For the first 80 miles we maintained an average of over 17mph, but the last 20 (really the last 40, I'll explain later) were windy as all get-out, and dropped our (my) final average speed to just over 16mph.

There were rest stops every 20 miles. At the first stop, Hutch peeled off and went on to complete the 32-mile route (bad stomach problems and having not eaten anything the day before, we lost sight of him at mile 3). The rest stop at 40 served as our longest break of the day, and we HAULED from the stop at 40 to the stop at 60 (we had the wind behind us or a crosswind for most of the first 60). At the 60-mile rest stop I realized I hadn't had much water to drink (it was HOT, and I finished about two bottles each 20 miles prior to that), and also didn't take in much food (which turned out to be a big mistake).

As we left the 60-mile rest stop, we gained a fourth ("we" being myself, Matt Fasana, and Ryan Dunn), a guy named Dale who we had been see-sawing with all day. As the four of us left the rest stop, we noticed a group of about 8 who had left just prior to us about a minute down the road. We formed a paceline (Wikipedia definition: "A paceline is formed with the riders all drafting one another. Riders will take turns at the front to break the wind, then rotate to the back of the line to rest in the draft. Larger group rides will often form double pacelines with two columns of riders.") to catch up to them, doing so after a couple miles. Then the 10-12 of us did our best to form a double-paceline into the roaring winds (these were 20-30 mile steady winds directly against us. The gusts were unbearable). After probably about 10 miles with the group, I just couldn't hang on anymore and was dropped. I bonked.

Catching up with them at the 80-mile rest stop (which doubled as the 40-mile rest stop as well), I grabbed a banana, ate a CLIF bar, and took on some more fluid. Stretched and got up with the group, and hung with them for another 5-10 miles. I was trying so hard to stay close to the wheel in front of me (for the maximum aerodynamic benefit) that after a while all I could see was the wheel and the blur of moving ground. I felt I was a risk to the rest of the group (because I was so worn out, I couldn't process everything else that was going on around me), I told Matt I was out.

Of course, Matt's a HS football and track coach, so he was able to keep me with the group (with his Jedi-like mind control powers) until we reached a leg where the wind actually wasn't against us, and I dropped.

Matt and Ryan fell back to stay with me (I told them not to, but they insisted, thank god), and we finished it out together.

Of course, there are more details about that last 10-15 miles than I've already relayed, but alas, I'm at work and have to get to it. Perhaps more later.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow - sounds like one hell of a ride. I would have 'bonked' in mile 5 I bet...

posted at 10:09 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

excellent, i'm glad it went well.

congratulations on completing. i wish there were more open spaces here, other than the parks. as much as i like central and prospect park runs, they get dull after awhile (think track).

but there's definitely fun involved in dodging traffic. Lots of fun.

posted at 10:29 AM

 
Blogger Hutch said...

Excellent work! Wish I could have rode with you guys instead of bonking at mile 3!

posted at 10:57 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congrats! Thats quite an accomplishment!

posted at 11:42 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home