Fly the friendly skies!
...or not. I guess we'll see.

So I was trying to e-check-in for my flight tonight (8pm), hoping there would be some possible better seats available on the flight - when I checked in on Monday in Houston they asked if I wanted to upgrade to the "Economy Plus" seats for an extra $20 - and I made the horrible mistake of turning it down. Well, I didn't want to make the same mistake twice.

As it turns out, I didn't. I just made a different mistake.

So I log in to united's website and went to the e-check-in. Clicked on my flight and hit "request upgrade". Selected the drop-down to use 2x 500-mile upgrade certificates (thinking, "I've got 4000 miles - no problem"). Well, yes. Problem.

I realized when I printed out my ticket that it said "print out and bring your 500-mile upgrade certificate(s) with you to the gate to receive your boarding pass". Realizing something was amiss, I continually tried to get to the "purchase upgrades" link on the ual website to no avail, so ended up calling them. At first I got lost in phone tree hell and had to hang up. After calling back, I knew I was successful when put on hold and told to wait for an agent. Soon enough, I was speaking to a friendly Indian man (at least they didn't make an attempt to disguise his voice, and he didn't say his name was "Joe" or anything bogus like that). Of course, he had to put me on hold when his script didn't tell him what to say, and he said he would "check with his sources".

He came back on the line and told me that if I showed up to the gate with the ticket but no certificates, they would just downgrade me back to my old reservation.

Man, I sure hope so. I want to get home. I'm skeptical, though...

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

D'OH! Well, at least you can moblog from the airport if you get stuck! ;)

posted at 2:06 PM

 
Blogger Hutch said...

You'll have to get used to the airports and airlines gig. Might I suggest printing your boarding pass as early as possible. Quite often, emergency exit row seats (much more room, same cost) are held until the end and you can change to them early that day if you act quick enough.

posted at 10:03 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home