DVD: Hamlet (1996) (See what I'm talking about)
OK, let's get it out of the way: yes, I'm a (recovering?) theatre geek.

That being said, how is this not on DVD? Dana and I just got a Netflix subscription as an AWESOME gift, and we took all of one day to build our queue up to about 55 movies.

I've wanted to see this since it came out. Jesus, I almost skipped seeing STAR WARS [again] to go see this film (but my sense - and my friends - got the better of me). And say what you will about Kenneth Branagh (come on, put yourself in your own movie of Hamlet as the titular character? A *tad* pretentious), but as things go there really isn't a contemporary Shakespearean who's more accomplished in bringing the Bard to the silver screen (no, Laurence Olivier does not count. Sorry. And whoever says Mel Gibson gets a swift kick. And "William Shakespeare's Romeo + Juliet" was not, as it asserted, actually William Shakespeare's Romeo + Juliet).

But this film did pretty well, considering - and was critically a huge success.. but no DVD, 9 years later. What gives?

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

dude... John Leguizamo as Tybal

you cant not call it shakespeare

posted at 1:53 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

A better question would be to ask why season 2 of Twin Peaks has yet to be released on DVD.

posted at 1:56 PM

 
Blogger Hutch said...

For once, I agree with you on a movie selection. This has been on my list for quite awhile as well.

posted at 5:06 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home