Busy Beaver!
Strange, but for some reason I think I've actually used this image before. I found it (thank you, google images, thank you) with a search on "busy beaver". And yes, "safe search" was on (work computer, you know).

Something about hurricane blogging frenzies must just take all the entries out of me for a while, becuase after I volunteered for the Katrina peeps at Reliant, I went on a week-long no-blogging sabbatical as well. Rest assured, all is well in MarkandDanaland (if I ever found a country...), but, as the image implies (illustrates?), I have been a busy beaver. Monday was interesting - after a weekend of no internet, I rebooted everything and bingo!, all was right with the world again, so I worked as usual.

Tuesday is a different story. I woke up to no internet again. sigh. Rebooted everything, no go. Called DSL provider, left a message. Emailed work (Blackberry still worked, of course) to explain what was going on and provide some kind of support. Called DSL people again, they answered, said there's an SBC problem, hurricane-related, and that they weren't expected to get to it until OCTOBER THIRD. I just hate phone companies. Any big service provider, actually (though DirecTV are pretty friendly folks). Don't get me started about Comcast.

But I digress (don't I always? I'm also very parenthetical, if you haven't noticed. What can I say? I'm a fan of parentheses). So, that afternoon I vow to find a place to connect online (we've been having lots of problems with a production webserver at work, and it's pretty much mine to care for, so I was really feeling the heat). So I went to the closest place I know of that offers free Wi-Fi and asked if it was working. It was, so I did.

Thing is, it was a bar. At this point in the day it was really functioning as restaurant, but soon after I was the only one there. I must have had about 12 diet cokes, seriously. Bad news.

OK, blah blah, got my work done, on the way home I passed two SBC trucks, and sure enough when I got home DSL was up and running again. So I fulfulled my lifelong ambition of working at a bar. Just not how I had pictured it. :)

Fast-forward to last night. I couldn't believe it was already Thursday - just crazy! Realized I had to pick up the Hutch for some weekend Cubs-game-going (the Dave blew us off, natch). Went first to the grocery store to pick up some, well, groceries, as well as the finest Texas has to offer for Hutch's sampling pleasure. The bonus is, whatever he doesn't want, we get!

But he just got back from his run, and we all know how he loves to talk. So I'm gonna go. More later (hopefully).

I know there was other stuff I wanted to blog about, but I forgot what else. So there you have it.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have always wondered what happens to somebody when they drink 12 diet cokes! :) Glad things are back up and working.

Is hutch in town?

posted at 12:48 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That beaver is ridiculous

posted at 11:02 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home