Observations, forecast data, and TAOS hazard model runs for RITA (See what I'm talking about)
This is looking more promising now. Again - to interpret, we are in Harris County, just north of Galveston. Before we were looking at the red and maroon, now it's looking like orange to yellow (and in our area, yellow). This is good news. Note: this image changes with the forecast. By the time you read this it may have changed already.

Now, I'm sure you're all hearing on the news that Houston has dodged a bullet and how the storm has been downgraded, but from what we're hearing we'll still be looking at 70mph winds.

Our landlady put things into perspective for us yesterday. She said "It's not like a tornado, where it blows for half an hour and is over. We'll have steady strong winds for 24 hours".

I have a feeling we won't get much sleep tonight. I think the biggest risk to Houston now is if Rita makes landfall and then just sticks, much like Allison did 6 years ago. Then we'll be looking at major flooding. This is why we have so much water.

D and I just enjoyed what's sure to be some of our last time outside before the storm. Our 15-liter buckets are full of water, and the Scrubbing Bubbles are working their magic on the tub now. I'm going to wrinse it out and fill 'er up. In the best-case scenario, we won't lose water service at all. But I'm not counting on that at all.

Better safe than sorry!

1 Comments:

Blogger amberance said...

Good luck you guys, you're in my prayers!

posted at 3:57 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home