RED! (See what I'm talking about)
This is my new favorite "how to scare the crap out of Mark" hurricane-tracking site.

Last night D and I took a trip to Home Depot and saw just how picked over it was. They were out of Duct Tape, batteries, and water, the only blue tarps they had were 40'x60' (and God knows how expensive), and I got the last hatchet (only because it wasn't where it belonged). Also picked up the last roll of 6-mil plastic sheeting (10'x100'), a box cutter, and a crowbar.

Right now, the image that displays on the page I linked above shows Harris county (where we live, aka Houston) making it through the storm with moderate to minor damage. With a flick of her wrist, though, Rita could bring us widespread to severe damage, which would not be fun. Right now, my biggest worry is that a tree is going to keel over on our house/car/bikes(!), so D and I are going to do a survey later and see what the most likely "risk areas" are.

We're not in the Harris County evacuation zone, but I think if Rita becomes a Cat five and they call for an evacuation we might just go to San Antonio. We'll take cover in the basement of the Alamo.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mark, we have been looking for an excuse to get you to come to San Antonio. Who knew it could be a hurricane...

By all means, if you need a place to setup camp, you are welcome to stay with us.

Greg.

posted at 7:54 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home