SciGuy - morning update (See what I'm talking about)
SciGuy: "The models are moving again. This time the official forecast brings the storm in near Galveston Bay and Bolivar Peninsula. This is about an 80-mile shift over the last 12 hours."

I'm no meteorologist, but if the bitch keeps shifting north we could be OK. Dana didn't obey my suggestions last night (probably knowing very well I was trying to protect her from something) and saw my blog as I was brushing my teeth. Sigh.

As of right now (me at computer, Dana still in bed - how she sleeps I'll never know), we're still planning on staying. We'll get bad winds, yes (very bad winds), and lots and lots of rain, and maybe some flooding in the streets, but we're still pretty comfortable that our place will be alright. And if a window should break, or a leak should start, we want to be here to fix that before it causes more damage than it has to.

We've identified the one or two trees next to our house that may be of risk to us, and our "safety zone" in the house is well clear of those areas. I think I'm going to spend today (and what time I can tomorrow) just getting ready: unplugging everything but essential electronics, making sure we can get over-the-air reception on a TV, taking pictures and things down from (at least) exterior walls, and moving things towards the center/corners of each room - then quite likely covering them in our purchased plastic sheeting.

Our landlady and her family are staying as well - they live in the house behind us - so should anything happen we can easily retreat there (or they here).

I expect that after getting everything "set" (as described above), the scariest part will just be the anticipation of the storm, then losing contact with the "outside".

Actually, I have two walkie-talkies (somewhere!), one of which I might bring to my landlord's place so we can keep in contact.

Time for me to start getting ready. I have to contact work and tell them I'll be unavailable for the next several days.

I'll try to keep up with the updates. As it stands now, we don't expect any rain to begin until tomorrow afternoon. I guess after that it will just steadily build.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

don't forget to bag (in plastic!) any "non-essential" electronics.

and, if possible, board your windows

posted at 8:09 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home