Off soon! (See what I'm talking about)
Well, we're off pretty soon (OK, in like 7 hours) for Steamboat, and our three-day interview (I say "our" because I will be interviewing with the locals - Dana's the only one who has to do some real work here - though we both did get hairscut to keep up appearances).

Anyway, I'd be lying if I said we were anything but excited (hey - it's like a paid-for vacation for me!), and I'd also be lying if I said we were anything but confident (perhaps this will be our downfall). I don't think that either of us expect Dana to *not* get offered the job, but no doubt Dana's nerves will activate (it's like a superpower, I swear) sometime around when we approach the airport. I wish there was some kind of warning sign...

Anyway, it will do us both some good to put on our "skeptic" glasses (or goggles, depending on the forecast) and really look critically at the town and people.

Instead of meeting with the real estate agent they offered, we're going to meet with a friend of Matt and Crea's - a Steamboat native who left and then decided to move back, and is, will wonders-never-cease, a real estate agent (he's also a former member of the US Ski Team).

Other than that, we're not quite sure how the weekend will look. We arrive this evening at about 9:20pm and are being picked up by Ron, the founder of the practice. Not sure what's on the docket for Friday, but Dana seems to think that Ron and Sheila (the other pediatrician in the practice) have commitments that afternoon, so maybe I'll save the Moots tour for 2pm and she can join me (I have to do SOMETHING touristy while I'm there). After that I guess we can just drive/walk around and check out the town and surroundings, see what it has to offer.

Tomorrow (Friday) night, we have dinner at Ron's house (with his wife Lisa, the office manager, and their baby), and Saturday all we have scheduled is a hike at some point and dinner in town. Sunday is wide-open, as far as I can reckon.

We're going to meet with Scott (the real estate agent/friend of Matt and Crea) sometime Saturday or Sunday (we're playing phone tag and I have to call him back). He sounds excited to have an opportunity to "sell" his town to us (both literally and figuratively -- a little real estate humor there).

Anyway, we're very excited. Add to the concoction the fact that they've taken their listing off of pedjobs.org, the site we found it, and it only raises our eyebrows further.

I've been doing my due diligence, however. In addition to my work responsibilities and bad temper (see yesterday's rant, if you dare), I am reading two books on moving from a large city to a small town (something D and I had discussed doing even prior to the Steamboat opportunity, but becoming more real every day), we've been getting the Sunday edition of the Steamboat Pilot for two weeks now (I told you I was doing my due diligence), and D has kept contact with people at a number of other groups as backups/other opportunities to look in to.

But nothing holds the allure that Steamboat does. And it's not just the fact that it's a snowboard resort (it's NOT a "ski" resort, but they do allow it), but it is an outdoor paradise with a yearlong draw. They've got a growing economy (good for small towns!), a very active community (active in the sense that many people are athletic and also a part of the community), and the more I think about it the more I realize that community involvement is something I could very much take to. I'm excited for the opportunity.

OK, I do have to get back to work, you know. But I welcome comments and questions. And I'll do my best to blog while we're there.

8 Comments:

Blogger Hutch said...

I never thought I would hear myself say, "I wish I were you."

posted at 9:13 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have lived in a small town and now live in a small to medium city and there are advantages and disavantages to both. Small towns are great places to raise a family and have a really nice community feel. Cities offer more to do, but often can make people feel small and isolated. Now that I look back, I really enjoyed growing up in a small town even though I spend most of my school years waiting to get the hell out of there.

posted at 9:45 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow - you really ARE putting a lot of research into this! Good for you! :) I'd probablly go without looking at anything...

I want to see Mark run for office in Steamboat! :)

posted at 9:47 AM

 
Blogger mark said...

Yeah, can't you see the headlines now?

Yesterday, Mark Fitzgerald's hopes for the Steamboat Springs mayoral contest were thwarted by the revelation that his personal 'blog' contains political diatribes that offend nearly everyone in six neighboring counties. Better luck next time, Mr. Fitzgerald.

posted at 9:58 AM

 
Blogger Jessica said...

I am impressed that you are reading the local newspaper! Good Luck to both you (but especially Dana! :) )

posted at 12:47 PM

 
Blogger Hutch said...

What is this "newspaper" thing of which you speak? My only sources of news are blogs and the Daily Show.

posted at 4:00 PM

 
Blogger Unknown said...

Comeon, how 'bout an update.

posted at 2:18 PM

 
Blogger Unknown said...

come'on how 'bout an update on Steamboat!

posted at 2:19 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home