Oh. My. God. Warning: rant below. (See what I'm talking about)
Kansas education board downplays evolution - Science - MSNBC.com
In addition, the board rewrote the definition of science, so that it is no longer limited to the search for natural explanations of phenomena.

What to do if your "theory" doesn't meet current scientific standards? Why, JUST REDEFINE THE WORD "SCIENCE".

Fucking brilliant.

As an aside, I've decided that people who live in Kansas aren't people at all. They're fucking idiots.


And yes, part of my harsh reaction is because another stupid, stupid ban on gay marriage was constitutionalized due to the MASSIVE 17% voter turnout yesterday in Texas (disclosure: I'm not a registered voter in Texas, therfore I didn't vote in the election, which some of you may feel puts me in an ill position to argue my side of this topic, which wouldn't be entirely wrong. But this is my blog, so hang on). Not that same-sex marriage was LEGAL in Texas in the FIRST PLACE (it's against the law already) -- but "they" wanted to Constitutionalize it because that makes the law harder to overturn (which, I pray, is inevitable much in the same way the freeing of slaves was).

One of my favorite quotes from the paper recently was from the minister of some church saying how normally he doesn't tell his congregation which way to vote, but that this vote was just too important.

How in the world is this state issue of marriage a matter that the church should involve itself in? Why is it any more important to the religious right than welfare or tax reform? Because it's a hot-button issue that they know people will follow them blindly on. Becuase they know that if they tell people how to vote that people won't question the issue for themselves. And this is what is at the heart of all of the Neocon thinking: if they repeat something loud and often, there is no room for rational thought about a subject. If people are told what to think, they won't bother putting the time in themselves.

What's so wrong about allowing same-sex unions? How does this threaten our democracy? How does it weaken our country? How does it usurp the justice system? It doesn't.

Legislating morality isn't out of the realm of what our government does - it has always done so, to some extent or another. But just because things have always been one way doesn't make them right.

And don't give me "the Bible says this..." or "it opens up the door to polygamy..." because that's total bull (note: I'm not calling the Bible total bull, I'm calling that argument total bull - call off the fire and brimstone, please). If you're not secure enough to be able to handle two people who love each other wanting to make a public (note: not religious) commitment to one another, then... well... I don't know - I guess you're in the right place.

The thing that peeves me the most about this is that I don't know enough about government to know whether or not they are truly within their rights to do this. I don't know whether this should be a state or federal issue (my common sense tells me it should be neither, but if legislators had common sense we wouldn't be dealing with this problem). The heart of my piss-and-vinegar mood is that this legislation is borne of religious dogma and advanced by religious groups - and I strongly feel that is inappropriate. I'm not saying that private groups can't advocate for their desired political outcomes, but it pisses me off that people are actively preaching unacceptance, superiority, and discrimination.

...and I've been in such a good mood lately.... sigh...


EDIT: For the record, the Vatican has even come out against Intelligent Design, stating that the Catholic Church believes Darwin's Theory of Evolution is wholly compatible with the Catholic faith (nobody told Mel Gibson). See a google search on the subject here. And yes, I fully realize that to my Protestant friends out there, saying that the Pope believes something to be true is not an argument in my favor, and I also realize the irony in posting this fact about how "open" the Catholic Church is in the same post where I rail against religous groups being against gay marriage - I'm only using it as an illustration that (duh) not all religions are created equal(ly), and since I'm railing especially against Christians thought I'd give my denomination of influence SOME credit.

9 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I agree, the separation of church and state is probably the most important aspect of our government. Unfortunately, it seems like this line has become blurry. After all, isn't everybody entitled to life, liberty and the persuit of happiness?
And don't even get me started on the "creation science" vs evolution debate. As a geologist I am sure you all probably know my opinion.

posted at 9:08 AM

 
Blogger B.J. said...

Ahh, Jebus. If you want people to believe something, just say that God wants it that way. "Dude, how are we going to get people to vote for tax increases?" "Just tell them that God wants them to be poor, that's what the Bible kind of says anyway. Then we'll just keep the extra for ourselves and our corporate friends. $3500 for a toilet seat?! It's what God wanted, so here you go." F Dick Cheney.

posted at 9:35 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I can't tell if its getting better or worse. At least this stuff is now in the spotlight and IS a hotbutton issue instead of people ignoring it all together. As far as getting "the word" out in religious ceremonies, totally preposterous! I totally agree that they should have no influence on what people vote on. People don't want to think for themselves anymore... they have people on "reality TV" to do it for them.

On another note - my comment word verificaiton is "bliyo" almost sounds like something today!

posted at 11:07 AM

 
Blogger Hutch said...

Wait! Are you telling me that God didn't create the world in 6 days?!?!? That he didn't destroy Sodom and Gomorrah b/c of "the gays"?!?!? And the Easter Bunny and Santa Claus aren't real?!?!? There goes my belief system!

On a more serious and positive note, all eight of the nine school board reps up for re-election in Dover, PA, were voted out of office yesterday. This is the same school board that added "intelligent design" a couple months ago. The federal (?) case is finished and simply awaiting a ruling now. It's the first real legal test of the newly repackaged (lack of) "intelligent design" concept. Please say we still have liberal judicial activists on our courts who are smart enough to do the right thing that normal idiotic Americans can't comprehend.

posted at 11:18 AM

 
Blogger Dana said...

As one person in that 17% voter turnout, I'm saddened but not surprised. I'd be interested to see what the breakdown for our district was on Prop 2 (this constitutional amendment). I think this ranting may need to be released on a bike ride or run--how about one in Steamboat?

posted at 2:28 PM

 
Blogger mark said...

Maybe just a hike...

posted at 2:29 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The blurry line between Church and State is getting worse, with a big reason being that simpleton 12 stepper (note, I don't think every addict following the 12 steps is a simpleton) is running the show. He's clung really hard to the step about believing in a power greater than yourself, and therefore, everyone else must also believe this ... or else. Granted, he doesn't speak for states on a local level. However, he does hold influence over the people that voted for him because "He talks like I talk. Hee-Yuk."

All of this foolishness will eventually lead to a major swing back the other way, and all of this will disappear for a few years. Then come back. A wise man once said "It's like a roller coaster. It goes up and down... and around."

And Fitz, you shouldn't hate on all people from Kansas. One of the guys I work with is from Kansas, and he loves the kak, civil unions, and John Kerry (but he loved Howard Dean more).

And yeah, creation science is just dumb.

posted at 2:33 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dinosaurs did not exist.

posted at 11:03 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just ask yourself WWFSMD?

(http://www.venganza.org/)

posted at 11:13 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home