Champagne Tuesday
I was alerted early yesterday to the fact that Dana and I would be hopping on the other side of the interview for dinner last night - her program director had to go to his daughter's recital and needed D and I to stand in (with the assistant director) for the dinner portion of an interview with a potential incoming fellow (Dana's replacement).

So I "left" work a little early and headed to the gym, came home and showered, and put on a nice new blue shirt that Dana had previously ironed up for me (hey, free dinner at a nice italian place = Mark putting on pants and a shirt). I had the pork chops, Dana had the filet (and because of my damn rule that we can't have the same thing, I couldn't get the filet. But I wouldn't have anyway - it was the most expensive thing on the menu. Dana has no such modesty). To protect her anonymity (and becuase I can't remember her name), I'll just say that the interviewee seemed very nice and (as far as I could tell) knew what she was doing. D and I each had a glass of wine with dinner, and since we ate so early (5:45), we were easily done by 7pm.

Well, Dana and I were all gussied up (OK, I was. She just wore what she wore to work), so we decided to get an after-dinner drink at our favorite after-dinner-drink place (when we're not feeling casual), the bar at Sullivan's Steakhouse. First round, she got a chocolate martini and I got a Stoli gimlet (yum!). After that, she got another and I had no idea what I wanted, so I had a Zambuca (Again, yum!).

As we're finishing up our second cocktail, a young couple sat down at the bar next to us and the young lady (wearing a sequined bebe T-shirt -- Houston is so classy) ordered a champagne, and I thought that looked really good. So, we paid the tab (it's not in Quicken yet, as D was in charge of receipts last night) and headed to Kroger for our fix (and to get some cheese. Our food was good, but they were small servings. And we already had crackers at home).

So we found a little mini-champagne bottle (we weren't about to drink a whole bottle. Come on, people. We're saving THAT kind of drinking for Christmas at the Fitzgerald's), some cheese (I introduced Dana, who was muy skeptical, to Kaukauna Port Wine Cheddar; it is now her favorite), and got out of there.

At home we enjoyed our champagne (and I enjoyed playing with our latest wedding gift - a gadget that takes the air out of open wine bottles to help preserve them - THANKS, youknowwhoyouare!), we almost finished the cheese, and D found a new job to apply to - Colorado Springs.

So today I'm working and D came home as I'm reading the IBM business guidelines (I have to certify that I read them), and she's going to apply to the CS job now. But we're secretly hoping to hear back from Steamboat (8" of snow in the last 24 hours).

Rest assured, as soon as we hear something, you guys will.

Oh, and I guess, in that vein: Dana did hear back from the Salem (Ore) people, who would like to gauge her interest. If I were a gambler, I'd bet against us moving to Salem.

Note: If someone would actually like to check and see if this post is actually more parenthetical than not, I wouldn't be surprised. And I'll post your results. Just think: your own guest-post on my blog! How exciting! (Rules: this note doesn't count as part of the post, so exclude it. Even though I now have a parenthetical rule in here.)

7 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

It was close, but the parent-thesis did not overtake the non-parenthesis'ed. 357 words (1,832 characters [with spaces])unparen'ed VS. 222 words (934 char) paren'd

posted at 10:07 AM

 
Blogger Unknown said...

If you extract paren'ed comments it makes an Mad-Lib:

with the assistant director Dana's replacement hey, free dinner at a nice italian place = Mark putting on pants and a shirt and because of my damn rule that we can't have the same thing, I couldn't get the filet. But I wouldn't have anyway - it was the most expensive thing on the menu. Dana has no such modesty and becuase I can't remember her name as far as I could tell 5:45 OK, I was. She just wore what she wore to work when we're not feeling casual yum! Again, yum! wearing a sequined bebe T-shirt -- Houston is so classy it's not in Quicken yet, as D was in charge of receipts last night and to get some cheese. Our food was good, but they were small servings. And we already had crackers at home we weren't about to drink a whole bottle. Come on, people. We're saving THAT kind of drinking for Christmas at the Fitzgerald's I introduced Dana, who was muy skeptical, to Kaukauna Port Wine Cheddar; it is now her favorite and I enjoyed playing with our latest wedding gift - a gadget that takes the air out of open wine bottles to help preserve them - THANKS, youknowwhoyouare! I have to certify that I read them 8" of snow in the last 24 hours. Ore

posted at 10:08 AM

 
Blogger Unknown said...

That should make up for all the times I've been a "lurker" on your site without posting. That took 20 minutes of my life that I won't get back!

posted at 10:10 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

MMmm... port wine cheddar - love that stuff!

Hope you didn't try so suck the air out of the champaign bottle! Fairly certain that won't work! ;)

Bally - awesome first post(s)!

posted at 10:20 AM

 
Blogger mark said...

Agreed, Pablo. With the second comment, Bally more than makes up for the lurking.

posted at 12:55 PM

 
Blogger Hutch said...

Lurking sounds so dirty.

posted at 1:56 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

MMMMMMMMM.....lurking...

posted at 9:39 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home