F-U tility
Found a nice note on the door as I checked the mail at lunch today: "Dear Customer: While you were away [Um, I was here. I am here all day. I work here.], the following CenterPoint Energy [we don't use you for power] representative was at your address..." blah, blah, blah, a bunch of open check-boxes with empty lines next to them followed by the one box that is checked: "Planned power outage scheduled for" (and hand-written in) "2-1-06 9am-12pm".

So, since I was going to skip out early tomorrow anyway to drive D to the airport (she's going to a conference in Orlando tomorrow through Sunday), I just e-mailed my boss and asked for the day off. Otherwise, I'll be spending the morning somewhere with WiFi. Fun!

There actually are a number of cafes around where I could work from, but that's not as fun as a mid-week day off, is it? The sad thing is, I'll probably end up in one of those cafes anyway, since WE'LL HAVE NO POWER. I guess that means I'm putting off grocery shopping until tomorrow so everything I buy doesn't spoil...

What are the odds that they'll actually be done by noon?

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

futility is right!

Well.. does Cingular use EV-DO or GPRS? time to get IBM to pay for a high-speed cell connection! ;)

posted at 12:23 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm testing a Cingular "high-speed" laptop connection card for our traveling staff. Unless you're 10 feet away from a Cingular tower, don't bother. It's 10 times slower than dial up, and I say that without exagerrating. It took 13 minutes to pull up google. No time out or anything. It uses EDGE/GPRS.

posted at 2:57 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Or you could always get your GPS, your bike and head out to make some money!

posted at 12:25 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home