Camp for All Hilltop Bike Ride

Friday night, I left town to stay overnight at Camp For All, a non-profit with which the fraternity has an ongoing relationship, for their annual fundraising ride.

I went with Matt Duggan, a Pi Kapp who graduated a couple years after I should have and before I actually did, and Greg Grilliot (who I have decided to call "Papa Greg" from now on). Matt is an architect in Houston and Greg is just outside San Antonio working for Motorola - Matt and I met Greg at the ride and stayed up later than everyone else catching up and figuring out what's going on with our mutual friends from Miami.

It was a snore-fest in the cabin where we stayed, and the guy who got up at 5:30 to shower was a real pisser (we slept there so we wouldn't HAVE to wake up early), but overall the cabins were a lot nicer than the cabins at any camp I ever attended, and the facilities as a whole were really impressive as well.

The ride began at 8am Saturday, and we got to the line just in time for the start (not that we were in a particular hurry). The weather had called for sunny heat (up to the mid-80s), but the ride started mercifully overcast and unmercifully windy. Unfortunately, the wind stuck around but the clouds did not - it made for a lovely (if windy) ride, but the sun got the better of me and It now looks like I'm wearing bright red sleeves - the cycling tan progresses full-force (and I think I will put up little argument when asked if I want to apply sunscreen for future rides).

I posted the pictures that were taken on the ride, but be warned that I had a double stand in for any pictures of me, and that double has gained some weight and is really a sight to see in spandex. There are two videos in there, but since browsers don't play nice with videos from my camera by default, I'm uploading them to Google Video and will link to them when they're available.

The ride was a great time, and I had been convinced the day before that I really need to get on the MS150, a two-day ride from Houston-Austin a couple weeks from now. Registration is closed, but I'm working my limited contacts to weasel my way in. If for some reason that falls through, well... I still plan on riding the Shiner BASH about a month from now.

2 Comments:

Blogger B.J. said...

I am so shocked to see that you would ride up Old Gay Hill Rd...utterly shocked.

posted at 6:43 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Shiner Bash looks like a blast!

Congrats on the ride! Looking sporty! ;)

posted at 9:35 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home