The Fargodome

Dome
Originally uploaded by Dana Fitz.
This is where the Fargo Marathon started and ended, and honestly, after 26 miles, it looked like a little slice of heaven.

The whole trip back home was just a complete blast. It was so good to see my parents again (haven't seen them since Mark and I got married almost a year ago), and I haven't been back to our family's lake cabin in almost 3 years (my parents have done some incredible remodeling). To sum up:

--A big thanks to Hutch for a great wedding present--not only being willing to come up to Fargo to run a marathon in May, no less, but also for not wussin' out on me and actually crossing the line together after a marathon. I guess the third time really is a charm.
--Wow, was I ever getting the full court press from Meritcare Hospital in Fargo to take a job there! Granted, there are a lot of personal connections to the place, and I'd never rule out a move back home, but it's not gonna happen anytime soon. Especially after my dear husband said "I don't want to move to Fargo", there's not much I can do. And the whole thing about having an AWESOME job in Steamboat kinda precludes the Fargo move. Eight ball says ask again later. Much later. Regardless, it was great to talk to an old friend, Sarah, who is a pediatrician with them now (I saw her cheering on the race route, and she ended up running 3-4 blocks with us), and it was nice to get an e-mail from the head of the Peds Department there, who is the father of an old friend. All good people, of course--cuz it's Fargo!
--Speaking of jobs, can I just tell you once again how incredibly excited I am to move to Steamboat? It's gradually starting to become more and more real, and I'm sure once we lock in a place to live this weekend, it'll be even more so. I received my schedule for July and August, and it's so awesome I feel like I'm still hallucinating. I guess hard work really does pay off.
--Back to the marathon--Hutch and I held a pretty steady 9 minute per mile pace for most of it, until the 30 mph headwinds got the better of us. With some speedwork and core strengthening, there still is a chance I could qualify for Boston before I'm 80. I really felt good through most of it, minus the wind. My SI starting acting up 10 miles in, and hasn't really let up since (I see PT tomorrow) and my IT band started killing me around mile 24, as a result of my effed up SI, I'm sure. The good news is that today was the first day it didn't hurt to walk up or down stairs, and I'm contemplating going for a run tomorrow. We'll see.
--Houston is so ridiculously hot and humid--it was so nice to be home up North and wear a jacket and get cold out by a fire at the lake and see a ton of stars again. It's been too long. I didn't get a winter this year. Still pisses me off, but I'll get over it. It just made it that much harder to come back to Houston.
--Congrats to Keri, who graduated from nursing school last weekend. Wanna come work in Steamboat?
--For a good laugh, go back and look at Mark's ugliest dog post again--that's some funny S.
--My favorite "character" out on the marathon route was by far the bagpiper, standing alone, around mile 16-17. Just the inspiration I needed.
--I take that back--my favorite characters were my family members wildly cheering us on throughout the route--everytime I passed you guys, my next goal was just to get to the point where I could see you again. Thanks for everything.
--When Mark and I were at the Marathon Expo, we were approached by a salesgirl as I was looking at shirts--and she had a spot-on accent from the movie Fargo. Think: the hookers from Chaska. But cuter.
--OK, bedtime. More updates later.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

chaska, now that's a quality small town.

posted at 9:26 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oooh, yeaaahhhh?

posted at 9:30 PM

 
Blogger mark said...

Dana is so right on about the "hooker from Chaska" comment. It was scary. I've been to Fargo a number of times now, but she had BY FAR the best accent ever. I'm looking for a sound clip now to link to.

This is the best I could find. [WAV file]

posted at 9:30 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hehe.. must have looked this one over thinking it was Mark!

Congrats Dana! Sounds like a fantastic run! Only good things to look forwards to for you guys! :)

posted at 1:37 PM

 
Blogger Amy said...

Congrats Dana. You are a rockstar. And congrats to Hutch, too. Though I don't really know him, I still say, way to go man!

posted at 2:27 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home