Avalanches and X-Men Musings

intro5
Originally uploaded by Dana Fitz.
I'm pleased to report I have found a worthy substitute to Shiner. This stuff is awesome, and although we'll be able to get Shiner up in Colorado, I have a feeling Avalanche will become my new default beer. It's out of Breck, and it's just an incredibly tasty microbrew. We also had the chance to sample some home brew cooked up by my new boss and Wes, who is married to the other pediatrician in the group. I felt a little guilty that Mark and I made a serious dent in Wes's homebrew stash, but damn, it was good. I promised Wes we'd have him and Sheila over to our place so that they could drink all our beer very soon.

The trip was great. Mark and I were pretty silent during the car ride back from the airport last night. Finally, towards the end, he turns to me and says "Steamboat is just so much cooler than Houston". Exactly.

But less than a month left here, which is tolerable, and I'll be spending a lot of it doing stuff I like--practicing my casting and looking at MRI's with the most bitter and cynical (yet absolutely hilarious) radiologist here. Could be worse.

Mark and I also had the chance to check out the new 6-screen movie theater that opened in Steamboat--it's a nice little place, and we saw X-Men 3. (I lost the rock-paper-scissors match-up again). It was a good flick and i enjoyed it, but it left me wondering something. OK, so in this movie, there's a mutant who can instantly tell you what "Class" any other mutant is. And there's a big hullabuloo over Jean, who is determined to be the Only Class Five Mutuant Ever.So I guess that makes most of the X-Men Class Four, and at another point in the movie, the mutant grader says that a room is full of mutants, but none above a Class Three. So it's safe to assume that there is such a thing as a Class One mutant, and that they really aren't very powerful.

So following the movie, this prompted a discussion between Mark and I (at the bar, of course) about what powers would constitute a Class One mutant. On the cool side, we figured the "Power to never have B.O." would be pretty sweet, as you'd hever have to worry about putting deodorant on in the morning, come back from runs and not stink up the place, etc. That's a good mutant power. I mentioned the power to have urine instantly vaporize from your bladder, so you'd never have to go to the bathroom, but Mark said then you'd smell like pee all the time, so that might be one of the Mutant powers that people would want to be cured of. Instantaneous urine transportation, however, would be worthy substitute.

We had other ideas, but you get my drift--as the night (and the number of beers) wore on, we tried to figure out what our current personal mutant powers are, and only came up with lame stuff. I can study for long periods of time and actually enjoy myself--I KNOW Mark considers that a mutant quality. Now if I could only just figure out Mark's.....

6 Comments:

Blogger mark said...

In several months, Dana will bear witness to my mutant whitey-afro power.

posted at 9:47 AM

 
Blogger JK said...

The ability to grow a whitey-afro IS a mutant power. It is also hilarious.

posted at 10:13 AM

 
Blogger Hutch said...

My mutant powers include the following...

1) Ability to instantly clear a room of all attractive women

2) Ability to bring utter destruction to any system of organization

3) Ability to sleep through anything

posted at 1:27 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

With all those extraordinary powers, Hutch, I hereby promote you to Class 1.5 mutant. Congrats.

posted at 1:32 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think Hutch should have his own mutant class... just called "Hutch"

As for mark whitey afro... (goes on a hunt for a picture)

posted at 6:55 PM

 
Blogger B.J. said...

I was disappointed with X-Men, but still entertained.

I can do math...in my head.

If I see an actor in a commercial, tv show, or movie, I can often name another commercial, tv show, or movie they were in.

posted at 6:23 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home