Begin... again. (SBS trip, part 2)
OK, onwards with Saturday. The place. Right, now I remember where I left off...


Here is our place. We met with the (now) owner at noon and did a walkthrough. I'll do my best to describe the place.

Inside, you'd think it was a single-family home, but it's really set up more like a duplex or townhome (everything to the left of the two-car garage in the above picture is actually someone else's home). The place itself is split into three levels - I'll do my best to describe it here.

The garage floor is halfway between the bottom floor (not really a basement) and the first floor. Walk through the garage and there is a 1/2 bath and some stairs down straight ahead, and stairs heading to the first floor to your right. I'll address the first floor..first.

The first floor consists of the entry from the front door (the first thing you see up the stairs from the garage), the kitchen, living room and dining room. It's very open with vaulted cielings and a gas fireplace in a corner of the living room area. Between the stairs heading down to the garage and the kitchen are several (5? 8?) stairs heading to the master suite (off-frame to the left in this picture), which is situated just above the garage. It's hard to gauge the size of the room(s), but at the top of this paragraph is a picture of the first floor. I'm standing basically where the front door is, D is stylishly between the entry to the kitchen area and the living room area, contemplating the dishwasher in the middle of the floor (we'll probably move that). She is wearing her favorite new sweatshirt from the Fargo Marathon.

This picture was taken from the stairs heading from the first floor to the master suite, and gives you a good idea of where our deck will be located (just outside the dining room, with access via the French doors D is pretending to walk out of). This is where the grill will live, and eventually we should have furniture as well. Supposedly, the deck will be done by the 4th of July, but I'm not counting on it. But I sure hope so. Nothing like grilling out on our nation's birthday.

As you can see in this series of pictures, Dana is always on the move. It's how she keeps her girlish figure. This is her walking away from our enormous windows in the master suite (I just like calling it that. It's really just a big bedroom with attached bathroom). In this particular photo, Dana is rushing towards the bathroom, intent on malfeasance. Unfortunately, the plumbing isn't yet hooked up, so she couldn't defile the toilet just yet. To the right of the bathroom door is the doorway to the first floor stairs, and to the right of that door is the big closet.

Skipping back to the garage entry, if we go straight and take a right we'll head downstairs. Looking down from the stairs as in this photo, we see the (formerly) empty laundry room. To the right of that is the utility closet (water heater, etc), and to the left the hallway heading to the two downstairs rooms and full bathroom. The two rooms are comparable in size with decent closets, but one has access to the patio that will be beneath our deck. Through careful thought and analysis I decided that the room without the patio door will be my office, so that I have a better view while I work so our guests can sneak in and out of the house without having to climb any stairs. This way, the guest bedroom (as opposed to my office) is directly next to the downstairs bathroom, so I don't have to smell the foulness which is certain to emenate from within so they can roll out of bed and into the bathroom with the utmost of ease.

The garage isn't much to look at, but it's ginormous. Currently it's a two-car garage, but I think that once we get there it will become a one-car, multi-bike garage. At least until I get my grubby paws on a "valley car", aptly named vehicles known around Yampa Valley (the area where Steamboat lies) for being passed from owner to owner time after time. I had my eyes on a 1960 Dodge pickup that I'm praying will still be available when we return. It's pretty sweet, but Dana liked the pickup that had a 2x4 instead of a rear gate (sorry, no picture could be found to represent that one).

In closing (I have to end this post, because it really only takes us to 1pm Saturday), I'll leave you with this picture of Mt. Werner (the ski mountain) from our bedroom window.


7 Comments:

Blogger Jessica said...

AWESOME!!!! Your place looks awesome, and the views are fantastic!! I know you are counting down your days in Houston!

posted at 6:38 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

So when are you going to SketchUp the place and put in in Google Earth so that we can do a virtual tour?

At least you can model your rooms and figure out where the furniture will go! (ahh... if we only had this while planning the ultimate dorm room!)

posted at 6:51 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

"intent on malfeasance" - probably the best use of English I've heard all week.

posted at 9:01 PM

 
Blogger B.J. said...

The place looks pretty sweet. Your place may have nice views of mountains and valleys, but does it have small time drug dealers 3 downs down the street? I didn't think so.

posted at 6:13 AM

 
Blogger mark said...

I'm embarassed to admit that this is the first I've heard of SketchUp. But it's currently downloading.

posted at 8:40 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

place looks great lark & dana! cant wait to come visit when i get back...

posted at 9:43 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Lark and Dana?! LOL - sounds like good names for the birdies! :)

I figured you would like sketchup - I expect a full layout... as soon as you have the time... ;)

posted at 11:53 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home