The move has begun
Determined not to repeat the fiasco that was our last moving experience (as a reminder, we had to pack the day after our wedding, and load up the truck the following morning for the drive to TX), we've already got a bunch of things crossed off the list.

We have a signed contract with movers, who will be picking up almost all of our worldly possessions on Saturday, June 24th. We have a new lease signed, and I just sent off the check for deposit and our first month's rent. I have scheduled all of our Houston utilities to be cancelled for a couple days after we're scheduled to be gone, and a list of what needs to be set up in Steamboat. I already have a new office phone number for when we get to SBS (VoIP is really handy that way. As soon as it's set up, which should be about a day, you can call my Colorado office number and it will ring my phone here in TX). We even have five boxes packed already! Books and CDs, some DVDs as well. We're going to have a lot of book boxes. Anyone who helped us move last time can attest to the fact that D and I have a great number of books. Books are heavy.

So, work is underway! Later this week we'll probably go pick up some free used boxes from our moving company to continue the great book pack of 2006. We're out of town in San Antonio this weekend, and after that it will be a packing frenzy, I think. Hopefully by the end of the week I'll have all our new utilities set up as well, and then it's just a matter of forwarding mail, updating addresses with financial institutions, that kind of jazz.

Expect pictures later.

Also - I bought a hitch for the CRV and will be installing that after it arrives - and on it I plan to put our new hitch-mounted bike rack. This will carry more bikes than the roof racks and give us much better mileage as well (and be better for the bikes, as they're not pelted with rain, dust, wind and bugs as much when behind the car).

We're getting ready to go. I just told Dana she has to blog about this weekend, as I still have to finish recounting our trip to SBS (maybe I'll be done with that recounting by the time we get there).

I'm thinking about adding an "arrive in SBS countdown" as well. Keep your eyes peeled.

5 Comments:

Blogger JK said...

Moving sucks, good luck!

posted at 12:07 PM

 
Blogger Hutch said...

I'm just glad Lauren and I won't be moving load after load from Wicker Park to Lakeview until 1:00 in the morning this time....

posted at 1:42 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What are you guys doing for internet and TV in Steamboat?!

Inquiring minds want to know! (ok.. my inquiring mind)

posted at 4:02 PM

 
Blogger Jessica said...

Good luck with the packing! It is definitely not fun, but it pays to be organized. And we had more book boxes than anything....except maybe kitchen stuff.

posted at 6:55 PM

 
Blogger mark said...

DirecTV again, POTS line for home/personal use, VoIP for work (already have that one), and DSL is pre-qualing now (you know how messy it can be with a new address). Hopefully close enough to the CO to get the 3-5MB speeds they're offering.

posted at 1:30 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home