Problems...
So I was kind of freaking out thinking our home PC's hard drive was failing. I opened it up to check on the freaky devil noises coming from inside and cleaned off the fans (hoping it was their noise, not the HDD), but to no avail. The kicker was when I set the hard drive to power down after like 5 minutes of inactivity, and the noise stopped. So I ran to Best Buy and got a new one (and a new surge protector for the new place, and new phones...).

So I put the drive in, power up the PC, and..... no more noise. Oh well. At least now I have lots and lots of storage. :) I'm still going to transfer everything over to the new drive anyway, just in case...

Also, I've been having bunches of problems loading dotNetNuke onto my hosting server. Just .NET configuration problems, really, but I'm not ready to give in and call support. At least I'm getting error messages now, which is more than I could say before... That's partly the reason you haven't heard from me in a while as well - I had actually downloaded all my blogger posts with hopes of converting them to the dotNetNuke blog eventually (that's still the plan, I guess), but since I haven't been able to get it up and running, here I am posting again.

One more thing.. It's ten minutes before 6AM, and I've been up for an hour. Thanks, Mom and Dad, for my mutant ability to not fall back asleep. I actually didn't really even bother trying today. Just reluctantly rolled out of bed and made the coffee. At least I'll get to "leave" work early today...

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

You could use this early time to pack? Perhaps? I don't know.

posted at 6:14 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

uggh.. hard drive problems SUCK! I've been lucky that I've been able to recover most of my data in past crashes... I've got a drive that sounds like a jet engine - I think the bearings are going out. Thats why it'll be delegated as the PVR drive - that way I only lose a couple of recorded shows! I should back up my digital pics to DVD at some point... hmm

posted at 8:23 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Speaking of computer problems, last night I decided to install a beta copy of Vista on my home PC. I installed a second hard drive, formatted it and set Vista loose on it. Only problem is that my LCD monitor doesn't seem to like to display the boot sequence, so when Vista rebooted the PC to finish the installation, I couldn't see what was happening and I killed the install. Now, since I can't see the boot sequence, I can't get it to boot back to XP.

So I'm going to bring CRT monitor home from work today and see what the hell is going on. I'm not worried, because I backed everything up, but you know it wouldn't be a new MS product without the added fun.

posted at 12:21 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Vista is just ok.. wasn't too impressed. Need a more than decent machine to run in "Aero" mode... I have to admit, the 3D alt-windows key (alt-tab equivalent) is pretty nifty!

The media center part of it is a bit niftier than XP MCE - but its a whole lot slower too!

posted at 10:22 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home