Good, long weekend

I know I promised house pictures after this weekend, but we were so busy we didn't spend much time unpacking. I PROMISE them this week, regardless of the state of the house.

We had a banner weekend. Woke up Saturday to the Balloon Rodeo (didn't bother going to the mountain - figured if we really wanted to, we could go on Sunday), and watched the 30 balloons launch from our bedroom window (well, I did. Dana opted to sleep).

Had some breakfast, watched the Tour (which, I realize, I haven't been blogging about at all - lots of other stuff going on, I guess), and headed to the mountain. I decided to be anal and packed rain jackets and warmer layers, two bottles of water, a CLIF bar and some trail mix. We got to the base and just started walking up (we weren't sure if we were going to hike down or take the gondola down, but the plan was to get to the top of the gondola and eat, then decide.

We hiked up the Thunderhead trail (maps and info here), a 3-mile hike with about 2200ft of vertical gain (we had the GPS, I'll get some Google Earth files up eventually). It took forever. And about 2/3rds of the way up, it got really windy and started to rain.


We eventually made it (lots and lots of pictures of the hike here), but there were fewer and fewer pictures after the rain started to come down (for obvious reasons).

At lunch, we decided to hike down (our decision helped along by the fact that the Gondola wasn't running), which ended up taking about half as much time as the hike up (but twice the toll on our knees).

Home, D showered, I took a BATH (I fit in our tub! And it's clean!), then a shower (baths are great for relaxation, not so much for cleaning), and we napped for a while before getting some grub.

Sunday, Dana woke up and ran a 10k (I have a few pictures but haven't uploaded them) - she came in 7th in her division - we hopped in the car and headed home. Some tour watching (and cat napping), and I worked on cleaning up the kitchen area more. Went grocery shopping, came home and made some great hummus (mmm, homemade hummus), and we chilled for a while. We hopped in the car last-minute to go see Superman, which turned out to be not such a good idea as our theater in town has about 50 seats and they had sold out a long, LONG time before we got there. So we turned around, D put in Fellowship of the Rings, and about halfway through I started working on dinner (my first REAL cooked meal since we got here, the roasted tomato mac and cheese recipe from cooking light. DELISH!).

We also caught some of the Cubbies in there at some point.

Today I'll probably make my homemade pesto chicken salad, though I never seem to have all the ingredients (the grocery was out of walnuts - when I asked, the produce guy told me "We just can't get them", as if there's a walnut shortage). No walnuts, but they have tahini? Go figure.

Anyway, the obvious highlight of the weekend was the hike up (and down!) the mountain. We're pretty sore, and I have no idea how D ran 6 miles the next day, but we're really becoming champs out here. Thank god for that. A couple more years in Houston and I would have had to change my name to Jabba.

6 Comments:

Blogger JK said...

Great pics, especially the one of the sunset from the day before. How was Dana's run at your altitude? Sounds like a great weekend!

posted at 10:12 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

JK - you talking about Steamboat's altitute or Mark's atlitude?! Lets not give Mark a complex! ;)

Sounds like a typical weekend in Steamboat to me! Translation = we are all jealous!

posted at 2:48 PM

 
Blogger Amy said...

Love the pictures! Beautiful!

posted at 7:13 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The run at altitude wasn't too bad, actually. I could still feel it a little, but not nearly as much as my first run the day or so after we got here. It was a great little run--when else was the last time I was told the race course 15 minutes before the start, and for the 10K, it consisted of "run along this road until you see the big white barn, and then turn around". Awesome.

posted at 7:55 PM

 
Blogger mark said...

Weren't those the course directions for the Fargo Marathon as well?

:)

posted at 7:14 AM

 
Blogger Hutch said...

Forget the house pictures. Just keep making us jealous with the outdoors pictures. I really wish there was a PT program in Steamboat....

posted at 8:01 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home