Lots of stuff and junk.

OK, I know I promised pictures, but I have a decent excuse - I was messing around on Friday night with taking long-exposure pictures of the night sky (and they said the stars were big and bright in Texas! Ha!), and they got corrupted or something, so I have to try and recover them before taking any more. So there.

Of course, the house is still in a sad state, but it's getting much better, and yesterday D and I spent the afternoon and evening working on it (I spent a couple hours in the morning hanging things as well). A trip to Ace was in the cards as well, which is always fun (no, really!).

I probably spent 4 hours in the garage getting that set up. So far, it's about half done. See, we still have a ton of boxes (really, we have a TON), and the painters are using part of our garage for storage (if they don't pick the stuff up by the end of the week, it's going outside), so I only spent the time cleaning what will become my half of the garage.

I made a sweet new bike rack and worked out some sweet snowboard storage as well, and really WANT to show you pictures of those. I'm sure we'll have the place nice and cleaned up by Friday, as we are having our first guests (no, no - in-town guests) - Dana's coworker Sheila and her husband Wes are coming by. Wes and I are trading services - he's going to help me hang our new pot rack (um, yes, I can hang a potrack, but not on our 15-foot vaulted ceiling), and I'm going to help him get files from his old computer to their new one. We'll probably also have dinner for them, I think. Dana will be working out the details.

As an aside, I have no idea how we shoehorned all this stuff into our old place. Really. We're busting at the seams here and we have about twice as much room as we used to. Go figure. I guess it will help once we get more organized. But jeez!

OK. On to the weekend.


Dana woke up Saturday and had to go round at the hospital, so I woke up and went on a nice ride (26 miles, 2500ft. of climbing). I totally didn't end up going the direction I had intended (missed a hidden turn), but it didn't matter - I inadvertantly found the way back from our other route, so now I can make the course a nice loop (with probably even more climbing). Overall, a great ride.

I got home and showered, then D got home, we had some lunch and watched the tour until the owner of our place came by to check out what the contractor had (not) completed during the week. There are a lot of small fix-em-ups that still need to get done - nothing major - so he did a walk-thru with the contractor. We chatted for a while and he headed out.

Then D and I headed out as well to go to her boss' son's 1st birthday party. We had a blast, re-met some of their friends that we met at parties on the 4th of July, and got out of there probably around 8:00ish. We came home and I chilled while Dana studied (Sports Medicine Boards are starting to loom, and therefore beginning to freak her out), and eventually went to bed, lamenting how old we are, at 10:30.

Woke up Sunday, and Dana headed to church and then rounds again, while I got up, drank lots of coffee, and watched the morning's tour stage. Then I hung pictures (which is much more involving than it might sound, since I measure everything twice and everything has to be perfect), Dana came home, and we had a little lunch.

Then my trip to Ace Hardware, and the garage-cleaning bonanza. I love it. Basically, our two-car garage is now a one-car garage, and the other half of it is my personal workshop. Currently it's primarily a bike shop, but eventually we'll work out storage for winter gear (snowshoes, X-country skis, various other toys) and soon enough we'll have to reserve some space for brewing (since D is getting me a home-brewing kit for my birthday). What I really need (again, I'll be talking with Wes - who is a carpenter - about this) is a nice, big workbench. I'm sure we'll have one built in no time.

That's all I've got for now. We were excited about the Cubs win on Saturday (actually caught all the Cubbies runs before the party), but I was too distracted to notice their disastrous collapse yesterday.

OK, for real. Longest post award goes to....

(and if Hutch has at least one post this week, he shall no longer be dead to me. He sounds busy, doesn't he?)

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

When we finally own a house (or even rent with a garage), my half of the garage will also be a workshop. And I will probably live out there...though hopefully not because I'm always in trouble. :)

posted at 9:22 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

And oh yeah, Ace is the place for the helpful hardware man. I loved working there while in college.

posted at 9:23 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

busy busy! :)

Looks like things are falling into place! Can't wait to see it first hand!

posted at 11:04 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home