Brew Day Delay
As I'm sure I've mentioned at least once, Dana got me a home brewing kit for my birthday. Well, I decided that yesterday after work would be Brew Day. Dana was working late, then had a meeting (those "awesome" hours get stretched more often than not) which means I didn't have to cook. So, I decided to (again) read through the relatively simple instructions and get started. Brew Day shouldn't take more than just a couple of hours, and with the wort chiller should be even quicker than most.

I'm glad I checked everything out before beginning, however, becuase I realized that my wort chiller can't hook up to our faucet without an adapter. SURE, it would have been possible to brew yesterday without the wort chiller, but I wasn't prepared for it, nor did I think I had the time. So I ordered a $3 adapter (and a book on designing beer, and the ingredients for an IPA) and tried to put the faucet back together (we had a little plumbing problem after my nosing around).

So instead, I watched the marathon Cubs game. Dana didn't get home until the 15th or 16th inning, so we had a beer, continued watching the game as we caught up on each other's respective days. At the top of the 18th I made the call that if the game didn't end that inning, we were calling it and going to bed - luckily, I didn't have to. Dana's boyfriend Murton (she is allowed two boyfriends per team, and with D Lee on the DL is left only with Matt Murton right now) drove in two RBIs unanswered by the 'stros to end the game. And we gleefully went to sleep, visions of hops dancing in my head.

Until next week then, I guess. My parents get here Thursday and I'm sure they don't want to watch me make beer (and blog about it), so it'll have to happen next week.

--

A few other things. Our first scheduled [non-family] visitor is scheduled to come Labor Day weekend. He found good airfare. So, if anyone would like to wrestle Hutch for the guest bedroom that weekend, let me know.

Also, it seems that this week Blogger introduced a bunch of new features, including new design templates. I'm probably going to stick with this one (and yes, I'll finish it eventually as well), but they've added some features that might be helpful, including (reportedly) an easy way to add OTHER feeds to blogger - so I won't have to hack around third-parties to get our netflix queue - and eventually our Steamboat Visitors Calendar - up on here. Yay. Unfortunately, there's still a lot of work to be done before this sucker is presentable. It's not high on my priority list right now (there's work to be done, after all), but it's on there. Somewhere. It doesn't help my motivation that the site is VISIBLE..

As a consolation, I'll add the code for the forced refresh now, so you all get the most recent page when you call this sucker up.

Until later...

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

How about links to what kit she got you? Or ideas on the beer you'll make first? I'm very interested in how it goes so take lots of pics and notes.
-Josh

posted at 9:35 AM

 
Blogger Amy said...

OOOOO! Coolness. Perhaps by the time we make our way up there I will:
1. be able to drink beer and
2. You will have had several months of practice on your way to being a brewmaster. Yummm, can't wait :)

posted at 8:52 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Awesome. I don't think I've had an IPA since you left. Sounds good! Yeah, we couldn't keep up with the 18 inning game this time around (hence the loss). We should have stayed up. We sat through that 18 inner last season with the Braves. Wow, what a game.
- Daniel

posted at 2:22 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

cool, can't wait to see details! And better yet, get a taste!

posted at 11:00 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home