Our new baby, call-out to Fred

Well, after much talk (about six months of talk, at least), D and I finally took the plunge and bought a new car. Pictured above, it's the new 2007 Subaru Outback Basic. Basically, a bare-bones Subaru wagon (Dana likes to call it the Fitzgerald "Family Truckster", too bad they didn't have it in Metallic Pea). We already love it.

Basically, we needed another car before the winter, and the CR-V just rolled past 100k, so it was time to get Dana something reliable for the winter.

Basically, our qualifications were cheap, economical, and AWD (um, winter here dumps a lot of snow. For those who aren't in the know, the mountain got over 400 inches last year. Yes, there were two zeros after that 4). The subaru met on all fronts. Sure, every third person in Steamboat has one (and in Colorado, they have something like a 40% market share), but that alone tells you something, doesn't it? That, and I remember how Dave punished his in high school but despite it all the damn thing kept running.

So, please welcome to our family the "Family Truckster". The picture above is of the new model year - for some reason the subaru site still only has the 2006 models (I like to think we bought a car from the future), some glamour-shot from Navy Pier, apparnetly. Anyway, ours looks exactly like that. All black, so no more of that overdone Outback two-tone stuff anymore either.

For the flag-wavers, it was assembled in Indiana, so "nyeh". For the tree-huggers (and all those to whom I swore that our next car would be a hybrid), we'll be doing some of this. Besides, the 2007 model emits fewer pollutants than ever. So "nyeh" to you as well.

---

One more thing: to demonstrate that in spite of my general dislike for the felines, I am hoping for the imminent return of Fred the Cat to Karen and Erik, I have posted this ribbon (these things seem to be trendy). Come home, Fred.

10 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congrats on the new ride! We all know you did it to impress Hutch!

Don't forget that the Scooby is a 4cyl! Much more fuel efficient (even if it does have a mileage robbing slushbox.

Dig the Terrapass! Might have to get me one of those!

posted at 11:57 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

thanks for the vote of support and congrats on the new ride.

I owe it to myself to tell you that if you're taking the whole tribe cross-country, the Wagon Queen Family Truckster is the way to go. You think you hate it now, but just wait until you drive it.

posted at 12:05 PM

 
Blogger mark said...

Excellent quote, Garrett.

posted at 12:11 PM

 
Blogger JK said...

Awesome! I love station wagons and as soon as B.J.'s truck is paid off we will be seriously looking at a Subaru. I really like the VW Passat wagons also, but they are expensive. Plus I get a $2000 discount off a brand new Subaru through the Geological Society of America. That totally makes up for my $20,000 student loan debt!

posted at 12:18 PM

 
Blogger Hutch said...

The real question, though, is if Fasana is the true trendsetter. He buys a Subaru, Fitz buys a Subaru. He buys a Litespeed, Fitz buys a Roubaix. He buys a motorcycle, Chris buys a motorcycle. Am I missing anything?!?!?

Even at my 4,000 miles of driving per year, I qualify for the 6,000 lb CO2 TerraPass. Guess that 90's Wrangler lacks fuel efficiency and low emissions....

posted at 1:12 PM

 
Blogger mark said...

JK, it's not a station wagon, it's a Family Truckster. :)

And Hutch, you missed Steve-o's scooter.

posted at 1:21 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for the call out to Fred. Sweet ride!

posted at 2:31 PM

 
Blogger Jessica said...

Nice ride! My dad is on like his third Subaru station wagon! :)

Maybe by the time you are his age you will be on your third Family Truckster.

posted at 8:53 PM

 
Blogger mark said...

Yeah. Hopefully by then we'll have a couple of jeeps up on blocks in the yard too. :)

posted at 9:01 PM

 
Blogger Captain Word Sleuth said...

I would like to point out in my own personal arrogance that I was the first to own a Subaru.

Now mine was not an Outback since that came out towards then end of mines life cycle. They are sweet cars and trust me they can take a beating. I got rid of mine after 180k miles and it was still running fine. Trust me I beat the S&%$ out of it.

I called mine the Party Wagon, though it was named by someone else. Good time I am sure will ensue. Congrats on the new baby.

posted at 11:23 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home