Caribbean Night + Chili Cook-off = Fun Weekend

chili1
Originally uploaded by Dana Fitz.
So I've been on call this weekend (and still am, at least until tomorrow morning)--Saturday morning I just got slammed with calls, saw a bunch of patients in the office, and then got some more calls. But can't complain, because so far it's still been an absolutely awesome weekend. Friday night Mark cooked a new recipe for me--the night before, he said I had to pick a "region of the world" that I wanted a recipe from, and I picked Caribbean (why not?). When I got home from work on Friday, the house smelled AWESOME, and we ended up having this great steak infused with all these different flavors, and rice with stuff in it--all the tunes of steel band music he bought on iTunes. It was a blast. He also made some Sangria, which I couldn't partake TOO much of, but was just as good as any I've had in a restaurant. And yes, we know Sangria is Spanish, but whatever--it was good.

Like I said, Saturday morning was a crazy one for me with the phone ringing off the hook and going in to the office, but I was able to be back home by 12:30-1 or so and we decided to go to this chili cook-off going on downtown. What a blast! It was perfect chili weather, too--cloudy, with a good fall chill in the air, but not windy or obnoxious. People were bundled up, but everyone was smiling. I saw a bunch of patients from the office--I'm at the point now where I usually know if I've seen a kid before the office, and I usually can remember parents' faces, but names are a struggle. It's still pretty fun to see people you know, regardless. My favorite chili was one made with Guinness and Newcastle, with the county cattlewomen chili being a close second. There were about 24 different chilis there, and Mark and I were definitely full by the time it was all over. Great way to spend an afternoon!

We ended up hanging out at home for the rest of the day--got a great drunk-dial from BJ who was tailgating at the Ohio State game, and later on I talked for a bit with Missy--she signed with a psych practice back in Bismarck, ND last week, and DJ is decideding between the two ER's there which offer to take. Best part about Missy and DJ moving back to ND--they are just over an hour from the best taco pizza in the world in Hazen, ND. Mark still hasn't had a chance to indulge.

I don't have to work a ton this week, so Mark and I were thinking about going to talk with the realtor we know in town about housing. Other than that, we're enjoying seeing the snow-capped mountains (Mt. Werner is looking awesome) and wearing fleeces, as it is definitely fall here. After having no fall last year in Houston, I just couldn't be happier. Have a great week!

3 Comments:

Blogger mark said...

And because it doesn't deserve it's own post -- I just finished making (and enjoying) some hummus. This morning I went for a quick (cold, but I was well-bundled) ride, which was awesome with the snowy mountain as a backdrop, then came home and went to Old Town Pub for lunch and to watch the Bears beat the Vikings. Then we took a HELL of a nap. Just an awesome nap. Dana is still enjoying it, actually. Time to wake her up.

posted at 4:21 PM

 
Blogger B.J. said...

I am pretty sure I called you guys Saturday, but not sure what was said. Hope it was fun for you.

posted at 9:15 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I want to know what the rest of the image you used in the post says.

"In just 3 hours we raised"...

-a pack full of renegade hyenas?
-everyone's bloodpressure 200%?
-Warren G. Harding's soul from the bowels of hell?

posted at 8:33 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home