By request: beer bread recipe
Quite some time ago, Shaffer requested my beer bread recipe. It follows below, and usually ends up looking quite a lot like the picture I found (right).

Onion & Fontina Beer Batter Bread
Ingredients:
1 TB olive oil
1 cup diced onion
3 cups all-purpose flour
3 TB sugar
2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
1 cup (4 oz) grated fontina cheese*
1 (12 oz) bottle beer**
cooking spray***
1/4 cup butter, melted; divided

Instructions:
  • Preheat oven to 375

  • Heat olive oil in large skillet over medium heat. Add onion and saute ~6 minutes or until tender (but not brown). Cool to room temperature.

  • Lightly spoon flour into measuring cup. Combine flour, sugar, baking powder and salt in a bowl. Make a well in the center of the mixture. Add onion, cheese and beer. Stir until just moist.****

  • Spoon batter into a 9"x5" loaf pan coated with cooking spray. Drizzle evenly with 2 TB butter. Bake for 35 minutes, then brush with remaining butter. Bake an additional 23 minutes or until done. Cool 5 minutes in pan on rack, then completely out of pan on rack.

Enjoy!

Notes
*I've used parmesean***** in a pinch and it worked fine.
**the recipe calls for "amber ale", but lagers work as well. I recommend a microbrew.
***This is a cooking light recipe, hence the cooking spray. Feel free to grease the pan if you don't have cooking spray.
****The first time I made this recipe here, the dough was not at all moist. Cooking at altitude requires some adjustments (as does most cooking). So, I opened another beer, poured a glug out into the dough and downed the rest. Cooking is fun!
*****as always, use FRESH parm, not that crap in the Kraft can. I grate it pretty coarsely.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks. I'll try it this weekend!

posted at 9:07 AM

 
Blogger JK said...

Sounds awesome, I will have to try it soon.

posted at 9:36 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I made this on Friday using Sam Adams Oktoberfest and I had to use parmesan b/c the store I was at didn't seem to have fontina. It was very good, thanks for the recipe.

posted at 10:04 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home