NERDS!!!

HE_5_RevengeOfNerds1
Originally uploaded by Dana Fitz.
So tonight I went to my first Journal Club here in Steamboat. In the medical world, this basically means a bunch of docs get together to talk about the lastest and greatest studies and how this influences patient management. They are much more common around academic centers, i.e. residency programs, medical schools, so it's actually pretty cool that they have these every few months up here in Steamboat. AND I've been to a lot of journal clubs, but this is the first one with beer, so that was definitely a bonus. It really was just a bunch of nerds over at someone's house discussing journal articles. Despite this, I still thought it was awesome. And dare I say, nerd-tastic.

Yesterday was by far the worst day I've had so far working in SBS. I got a call from the ER at about 7:30 am (and I was already at the hospital in a meeting, gross) about a kid that needed to be admitted to the ICU here. I spent the rest of the day perpetually one hour behind on my clinic appointments because I was getting hourly labs on this kid and changing management all the time based on them. I had a full clinic day, and thank God everyone was cool about me running so late, but still. The whole day I felt like I was getting kicked in the gut repeatly because 1. This kid in the hospital was making a serious attempt to either die on me or have some permanent brain damage, and that's some scary s., and 2. I know what it feels like to wait forever at the doctor's office, and it sucks, and I didn't want to be "that doctor". But what can you do. I didn't leave the hospital until 10 pm, and the kid is doing great now, but it was very touch and go for a while there. Whew.

Thankfully, I had the day off today, and was quite determined to do absolutely nothing with it, save my nerdalicious meeting this evening. I believe I was quite successful, sleeping in until 10, taking an afternoon nap, and watching a crapload of tv, all the while greatly enjoying the fact that nobody's life depended upon my decisions. With the exception of Mark, and our decision to have frozen pizza for lunch. I love when reviewing lunch options is my most important decision of the day. It makes me happy. And reading other blog posts--that makes me happy, too.

Mark hurt his back some odd way a few days ago, and has been hobbling around the house since. He can't sit on the sofa, and has been spending a lot of time in bed trying to sleep it off. He looks so pathetic I feel really sorry for him, but not sorry enough to make dinner. I'm still doing his laundry, though.

OK, bedtime. I need to drive an hour to our satellite clinic tomorrow, and I find staying awake at the wheel is much preferable to the alternative. In the meantime, check out BJ's blog. He writes funny s.

4 Comments:

Blogger B.J. said...

Kind of puts my crappy day because I couldn't connect to the server that maintains code in perspective.

posted at 8:53 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Tee hee. I love that you went to a beer drinking journal club :)

posted at 12:10 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I can't wait to hear "This one time at Journal Club..." stories.

posted at 3:34 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, and will you send me Marks email so I can invite him to read my blog. You should have my blog invitation already :)

posted at 7:01 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home