October!

jack-o-lantern_1
Originally uploaded by Dana Fitz.
Mark and I are just relaxing this morning, taking it easy for once and enjoying our coffee. For at least the last 3 weeks I've woken up on Saturday either a bit hung over (Chicago, Miami), or when on call, answering the phone over and over. It's nice for it to be quiet. Since I'm back on call next weekend, I REALLY need to enjoy it for now.

Our plan today is just to clean up the the place a bit--I did a ton of cleaning at the beginning of this week--dusting, mopping, vacuuming, so the majority is done. We having friends over for dinner and to carve pumpkins, so I guess I'll have to clean the bathrooms, too. Dammit! Should be fun, although I've never gotten very excited about carving pumpkins. I like cleaning out the insides because I love roasted pumpkin seeds. But when it comes to carving, mehh--I'll leave it to Mark.

There's also a huge sale going on at our favorite gear store here in SBS, so we'll be heading over there at some point this morning to do a little shopping to help fill our "gear gaps", as they are called. We unfortunately don't have a ton of money to spend, but we'll probably pick up some snowshoes for Mark and maybe new boots and bindings for my snowboard (my old ones are pretty rusted out, although Mark just got me a new deck for Xmas a couple years ago, and that is still frackin' awesome).

In other news--we had Russian Night a couple days ago, and Mark made mushroom caviar (pretty yummy), cucumber salad (OK), and beef stroganoff (yummy), and we dined to music from the Mother Country. It was awesome. I think Asian night is next. We also bought our tickets to North Carolina for Erik and Karen's wedding, which we are pretty excited about. I've never been to NC, but after I got into Duke, begged and pleaded to try and visit it before making a college choice. In hindsight, I'm very happy to have gone to a state school and come out of undergrad debt-free instead of the 50 grand minimum debt Duke would have given me (tacked onto that glorious med school debt). But man, did I ever through some tantrums about that! I should call my parents today and apologize again for being such a brat back then....

Speaking of, my mom is coming out to visit in a couple weeks, which should be awesome. She's never been to Colorado before, and we're going to have such a great time. Everything around here is so yellow right now, but the leaves are all starting to come off of the aspens. I'm afraid by the time she gets here, they'll all be fallen. Hopefully we'll get a bit more snow so the mountains will be capped again. It's been pretty warm lately (relatively) and most of the snow is off the mountain now. Can't have that!

Chicago last weekend was a blast--it was so much fun to see everyone, even if briefly, and hang out with Mark's family. I did get a little nostagic at one point for Chicago, especially when we went to a piano bar a few blocks from my old apartment in Wicker Park, but it's an interesting mix of memories. Traumatic residency ones v. awesome living in Chicago ones. Regardless, I'm happy to now call Steamboat home. And it's so good to be home.

Have a good weekend!

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

...and the memory you have of jetting down a Chicago city street on the back of a blue and yellow motorcycle....

FAS

posted at 11:17 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

sigh. I love chicago.

posted at 8:22 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It was great to see you guys too!

posted at 2:40 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home