Open Forum, Topic 1: Reefer madness

OK, to some REAL blogging. My intent with the "Open Forum" series of posts is to solicit as many comments as possible, so have at it!

First off: there is a ballot issue in the upcoming election in Colorado regarding the (limited) legalization of marijuana (can be seen here in PDF form for those interested). So sum it up for those not interested in reading the whole thing, it would basically legalize the posession of up to one ounce of marijuana for individuals 21 and older.

I'm a bit conflicted about it, but to be honest if the vote was today would probably vote in support of it. Our jails are full of (arguably minor) drug offenders. It costs you and me money every time someone is arrested for smoking the weed, not to mention tying up the courts and our police forces while there are *real* crimes out there being committed.

Now, I don't think people should walk down the street smoking weed, but if they do it in their house, why do I care?

The things that conflict me/I occupy my time worrying about:
1. What if people do start walking down the street smoking weed? If it's controlled like, say, alcohol, I don't forsee any problems. And since smoking is banned in bars and restaurants in Colorado, I won't have to worry about contact high or coming home smelling like pot - in effect, it will be more restricted than alcohol consumption. I don't imagine you'll be able to buy it at the corner store.

2. The (theoretical) question that really gets me is: do I want my children to have easy access to pot? Arguably, access is pretty easy as-is, but this would, I think, make it much easier for kids to get their hands on the pot. This is worrisome, but I know plenty of people who have (and probably some who still do) smoke up every now and then and are stable, contributing members of society.

3. It seems that my resistance to the legalization effort is based in history - not necessarily fact. If tobacco had been illegal up until now would I vote similarly? Would I have similar concerns? I think that's likely.

DISCUSS!

5 Comments:

Blogger Hutch said...

Please tell Taco Bell and the makers of Doritos are supporting this ballot initiative!

posted at 12:29 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I figured there would be more comments on this already.

Couple of questions.
1. I assume it will still be illegal to sell?
2. If so, where do people supposidly get this pot?

According to the PDF of the amendment it is only a petty offense with a fine. Do they get arrested and taken to jail, or just cited? It also says that there is no incarceration time for this offense so there would not be any load from the prison system (at least in your state), though it would ease some of the paperwork in the courts.

I don't think I would worry about easier access for kids. My guess is if someone is going to smoke weed they will buy it and do it whether it is legal or not. The act of getting the pot will probably still have to flow through shady sources and this will keep the majority of people from running out and smoking up just b/c it is now legal. Now if they were to legalize selling from the friendly corner supermart, it would be a different story.

I've always said I would vote yes for an amendment like this but if it were actually on the table in front of me like it is for you I'm not so sure and would have to do a lot more research.

posted at 3:17 PM

 
Blogger B.J. said...

This is a touchy subject. Josh brings up the main issue, if I can carry an ounce, why can't I sell it to someone else? Then, why couldn't states tax and regulate it much like it is done with alcohol?

I agree with Mark though, what you do in your house to yourself is your business.

I can not see this law making it any easier to obtain pot, much like alcohol.

That being said, if the only reason to vote for it is to keep people out of prison, then is it worth voting for? I would probably say no.

posted at 5:14 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

There are a lot of arguments for or against the legalization (even in minor cases) or pot, none of which are 100% correct or 100% wrong. I am kind of torn on this subject. I recently watched a documentary on HBO about the 80's and the war on drugs, and they pointed out that, at least in the 80's and likely still today, people were getting harsher sentences for doing drugs associated with poverty than were people doing drugs associated with high society. The examples they presented were that people with minor amounts of crack (during that time, available for $5-10 and prevalent in black and latino poor areas) were getting 3 to 5 years in prison vs. cocaine (during the time, all the rage on Wall Street and going for hundreds of dollars) were getting probation.

I'm not sure if this type of system still exists or not, but I'm pretty sure that the only people getting busted for pot and going to jail for extended amounts of time have a lot more than personal use. So I kind of fail to see how the argument will ease the court and jail system. I don't know about Colorado though, since it probably attracts a bunch weed smoking hippies. :)

Many people in favor of legalizing marijuana point to the failure of prohibition as support. I'm mixed on this, because clearly the police, courts, and jails were over burdened dealing with bootlegging and alcohol comsumption during that time. But at the same time, I don't think nearly as many people smoke weed today, than did people who drank in the 20's. Maybe this would be different if pot were first legal, and then was not. But I do know that the people who have wanted to try marijuana were all successful at doing so. So I fail to see legalizing it would allow a bunch of new poeple to rush out and try it, no matter how old they are.

And I agree with Fitz, that as long as what someone else does in their own home isn't hurting anyone else, they can do whatever they want (that means, no you can't cook meth in my neighborhood).

posted at 6:56 AM

 
Blogger Amy said...

Meh. I'd have to vote against it. Pot is known as a bit of a gateway drug. How can authorities start to regulate what it is laced with etc. And I never really have gone for the "its just as bad as alcohol bit" Seeing as getting hiagh is not the same as having a few beers. And having more that a couple of beers and driving is illegal.

I just think it is a "slippery slope" and easier access only promotes drug trafficing, and I think will ultimately increase the number of drug users and therefore increase the number of people in prison, for more hardcore stuff.

I know, I know, I've gotten all conservative on ya. Perhaps the idea horrifies me a bit more as I a bringing a young person into the world.

It's hard enough as it is I have no desire to hear "But moooooom, it's no big deal. It's leagal anyway, and Susie's mom even smokes out with her. Why are you so mean?!"

posted at 11:46 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home