Project Update

So, some time ago I *think* I probably posted about my newest home-improvement project, wherein I was going to turn the chest that our TV sits on into storage for our A/V components as well. Maybe. If not, well, that's what I'm doing. Pictures forthcoming.

So I recommenced work on the mildew-y antique (you may recall, it's 99 years old this year, and I'd like to finish the project in time for the chest's 100th birthday), and I could be complete within, say, a week.

One thing I needed was an IR repeater, so I could put a sensor on the outside of the chest, or in a hidden hole, that takes signals from our remotes and passes them through to the hidden components inside the box. Unfortunately, the best system I could find cost quite the pretty penny, which was offputting, but, I felt, necessary (to complete my little project).

But yesterday I found a better solution - a universal remote that comes with its own IR repeater - so I'm going to go that route now instead. Hopefully sometime soon I'll be able to share more details, but with Dana's mom coming to visit later in the week I'm not sure I'll be able to get everything done in time. Maybe while they're at the spa on Saturday (for Carol's MUCH belated birthday present).

I've finished constructing the new door and lacquered it (to hide the hideous mildew smell, and help protect the ancient wood), and am probably a third of the way done sanding the inside of the rest of the chest. After that, some finer sanding and a wipedown, I'll be able to lacquer that, and then it's time to buy the wood to build the internal support structure.

I'll try to take some in-process pictures later today so you all can have some idea of what I'm talking about. Until then, you're left to your imagination and my less-than-stellar description of the process. Tough luck.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Make sure the next post is when you are high on laquer fumes!

posted at 12:52 PM

 
Blogger mark said...

Actually, I was thinking about it last night and have reconsidered - I might paint the inside of the chest black before lacquering it.. I have to consider that. I'll probably finish sanding it today..

posted at 8:18 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home