Work update!
Let me preface this post by saying I'm not worried about my job security, everything is fine, etc. Don't worry dad, I'll call you this weekend. Anyway, on to the meat...

My team of four was told last week we'd be transitioning to a new manager. No big deal, really - an audit of the company decided that our team, who are mostly involved in developement (as well as support of the programs we develop) - didn't fit in the "support" group where we have always been located. To be honest, we never really did fit there, nor did we really belong according to the bank's own rules - but we were there to offer quick assistance and provide quick turn around when problems arose. The team has been operating this way for years within the support group, and the group has always functioned very well - in fact, we (as a group - not just my team) were often lauded as a model technology presence in a bank.

But my team never fit. We didn't belong in "support" according to strict segregation-of-duties rules, but we got away with it because we do a damn good job and save the bank a boatload of money. We have always been a "rogue" group that intentionally kept a low profile so as not to be noticed and swept away.

Well, audits have "discovered" us and decided that we can no longer do things the way we have been. So my team is being transitioned to a new manager. There are no dire consequences or anything, but there will be, I feel, annoyances.

Our first priority has always been to get things done and to do them quickly, and - not to incriminate myself here or anything - let's just say perhaps we haven't always followed every little rule to the T. (I'm reminded of the scene in Army of Darkness when the wise man asks Ash if he recited the words correctly: "Look, maybe I didn't say every tiny syllable, no. But basically I said them, yeah."). We got the job done. Without the unintended consequence of raising an army of the dead - so I guess we one-upped Ash, even if he does have a wicked chainsaw for a hand.

But I fear that the (admittedly bad) habits we've grown used to since, well, forever... won't be tolerated any more. I'm not concerned about being able to do the job right - things will be more difficult and frankly we're just going to have to follow rules that everyone else has had to follow for a long time - I'm more worried about being able to give the people who rely on us the same kind of service we have always been able to offer them.

Plus, added work and slower turn-around times will necessarily mean more pressure, more stress, etc. And I *know* my team leader can't be happy about this change, but if he were to leave the company (not that I think he would, but if..) I would be royally screwed.

It's not to say there aren't problems with our team. I've lobbied in the past for us to follow (some) rules more closely, to little effect, but I always felt that was more a time and manpower issue than anything else. I'm sure that good will come of this move, but in the meantime, it could be a rough transition.

OK, that's all. Nice downer on a Friday afternoon, huh?

So, to sum up: I still have the same job, I will just report to someone different (which is in and of itself very different - we were trusted as captains of our own ship before, and I'm not sure how much that will continue). Good and bad may result, but I'll still keep my job. If anything, I now have *more* job security, as there's more work to spread amongst our limited team.

Now I have to think of something fun to post to get this off the top of the blog. But I don't have time. I'm busy enough as it is.

Oh well. Get back to work, you slackers! Happy Friday!

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

nothing endures but change, right?? ;)

I'm sure it'll work out in the end. Change is good!

posted at 1:34 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

change control baby. You've taken ITIL training and know why it is important. ;-)

posted at 8:45 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home