If only....

lottery
Originally uploaded by Dana Fitz.
So Mark and I have started buying lottery tickets on a somewhat regular basis. I know, I know, the chances blah blah blah. But it's worth 5 bucks a week to dream big. And besides, to buy a house here you pretty much need to win the lottery anyway. So we are waiting on the 35 million dollar jackpot tonight, and spent most of dinner discussing how we would spend the winnings.

To start out, Mark would, of course, quit his job first thing in the morning and then spend the rest of the day house hunting and lining up movers. I'm a pediatrician, it's what I do as much as who I am, and I could never quit. Besides, that would totally f over Ron and Sheila, and that's just not right. So I'd still drive out to Craig for clinic tomorrow, but I'd be able to buy lunch this time around.

Mark and I both agree that half of our winnings would go to charity, whether it would immediately get doled out or whether we'd set up a foundation that would allow us to keep giving for a long time. We both have our charities in mind, although I'm sure both of us would do a little searching to see where else we could help out. And we'd certainly become patrons of Scott and Lauren, so they could do what they do best. And BJ, if your heart is set on that modern dance career, I'm sure we could help you out a bit, too.

Anyway, like I said, it's worth the 5 bucks a week just to dream. Mark and I went snowshoeing today up on Emerald over his lunch break and had a blast. I had gone up onto Mt. Werner (the ski mountain) snowshoeing yesterday with Lisa, and between these two workouts, I'm definitely starting to feel my legs asking for some mercy. It feels good though--especially after getting me arse whipped by Lisa yesterday, because for girls' weekend in a couple months we have a 3-4 hour snowshoe just to get to the cabin for the weekend. And trust me, the girls going on this outing are pretty hard core. I need to get in gear. Good news is, the mountain opens a week from today (although we probably won't be able to get out there for a couple days just because of work and Thanksgiving) and the ski touring center, where I can rent Nordic skis for cheap, will start having women's skate ski clinics December 1st. Growing up classic skiing, I'm not sure how I'll like skate skiing--we'll rent for while and see how it goes. I know I love classic, but it seems like everyone around here skate skis anyway, and besides, it's a lot easier to go up on skate skis. And there's a lot of going up around here. But then again, when we win the lottery, this conversation becomes moot and I buy skate AND classic skis. Boo-yah!

Point being, I need to get back in shape. Granted, this sinus infection crud I had knocked me down for a good 3 weeks, and I'm just starting to come out of it. Probably wouldn't hurt to back off on the drinking a bit, but Mark bought a case of wine this month that the store featured, essentially, as a sampler case. It's pretty fun drinking new wines, especially when you get stuck in a rut with the stuff you know you like. Interesting thing for me, though, is that I'm finding I like almost any wine. I feel almost like that hosebag from Sideways--Paul Giamatti's best friend--because I'll drink almost anything and like it, with probably the only exception being the super-fruity pink chick wine. However, beer is a totally different story--I will try most beers, but there are certain flavors and certain tastes that I'm just not that into. I like a good share of hops in my beer, for instance, and a smooth IPA is awesome, but I don't like a ton of hops. It's been interesting with the sampler wine case, though, just because Mark is much more particular about wine than I am. But then again, Mark is much more particular about a lot of things than I am. It's not a bad thing, just keeps the discussion lively.

OK, back to, well, relaxing. Lottery or not, I'm still going to work tomorrow. :)

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

They say your really buying the right to dream when you get a lottery ticket and I believe that. You can't really dream about what you would do with the money if you don't even have a 1 in 100 million chance. :-)

posted at 7:26 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think you meant to say that you'd still fly to Craig in your new gold plated helicopter piloted by Mr. T in the morning to do Clinic. Right?

posted at 4:05 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dude, a good friend of mine just won $36,000 at a slot machine. So I say, dream big.

Is it sad and pathetic that I first think of if I won is paying off my student loan debt? Man, I gotta think of some more fun stuff to do with my millions than that!!

posted at 6:59 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I would so make Mr. T my chauffer.

posted at 8:14 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home