Quads

quadriceps
Originally uploaded by Dana Fitz.
Had today off, so Lisa and I went snowshoeing, with her 16 month old on her back. We decided to go up the mountain again to see how the snow was coming along since it opens tomorrow. Very busy there--lots of guys out on snowmobiles and the snow machines were going like crazy. We went straight up this big run, and I swear at times the grade must've been 60-70%. Calves got a huge workout on the way up, and quads were burning like crazy on the way down--shaky legs and all by the end. We went to Backcountry for sandwiches afterwards, and I tried to get up too fast to throw our stuff away and my legs almost collapsed underneath me. It was awesome.

It's nice having today off, although I can't complain about how my weekend on call was at all. And the best part was seeing a kid in the office on Saturday and her 3 year old brother came along as well--dressed as a pirate. Bandana on his head, hook for a hand, eye patch, the whole deal. Cutest thing ever. I asked him if he knew what pirates said. He just looked at me confused, so I said "Arrrrgh!" Following that, he asked me what a pirate's favorite word was. I said I didn't know, expecting an awesome kid joke punchline. He just said "Arrrgh!". That was good enough. :)

I'm getting really excited about the mountain opening tomorrow, even though Mark and I won't get out there until Thursday and there will only be a couple runs open anyway. But it doesn't matter. Looks like there's snow in the forecast for next week, and that should help. I dropped our boards off to be tuned yesterday and will be picking them up this afternoon. Yea!!

OK, shower, nap, and crossword--not necessarily in that order. When Mark and I were up at the bookstore on Sunday I also picked up Devil in the White City, which I've heard good things about. I'm just finishing up reading Siddhartha again, one of my favorite books, and very interesting to have read it at different stages in my life--high school, college, and I think med school was the last time I read it. Good stuff, and since I have 4 days off for Thanksgiving, I hope to get a lot of work reading and fun reading done. I'm also thinking of making some Guinness Beef Stew. Yum!!!

5 Comments:

Blogger mark said...

No need to call the EPA, folks. I will be helping make the stew.

posted at 3:02 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sounds like quite a workout!

umm..

I walked up a flight of stairs at a school I visited today! ;)

posted at 3:09 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

We just had some baked ravioli. Good stuff.

I hurt my wrist...wish I knew a doctor that could take a look at it.

posted at 4:51 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

If we come out and visit, are you going to make us walk up a mountain? Or can we just sit around and drink? (BTW, I'm not commenting on Fitz's posts until he stops comment whore-mongering.)

posted at 7:55 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

If we come out and visit, are you going to make us walk up a mountain? Or can we just sit around and drink? (BTW, I'm not commenting on Fitz's posts until he stops comment whore-mongering.)

posted at 7:56 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home