Texas

index-title
Originally uploaded by Dana Fitz.
So I talked to another mom today who told me how nice it was to meet me and thank me for taking care of her kid. I've had a few of these calls now, and I must say, it can turn an absolutely horrible day into a great one. Everybody loves to hear when they do a good job. I try and remember that as much as possible.

But anyway, point being, Mark and I have been following the election news VERY closely, and even toasted the Democratic victory (at least of the House) last night with a nice bottle of Veuve Clicquot, and today toasted other victories with a nice sushi dinner and a fancy bottle of wine. Suffice it to say, I'm happy with the current state of affairs. And I haven't been in a long time. That being said, I certainly don't think a Democratic victory is by any means a panacea, but it certainly will shake things up, which I do think is a good thing. And it will make the 2008 presidential election that much more interesting after a good two years of a Democratic congress. To be honest, I'm registered as an Independent, just because I won't count out a Republican candidate before knowing their stance on issues vs. a Democratic candidate's opinion. Bottom Line: I'm encouraged and excited about our national leadership, and I haven't been in quite a while. We'll see how it all pans out.

But on to the reason I'm blogging:
I had clinic in Craig, America today. I saw 23 patients, which to be honest, is by far on the heavy side of patients I see in a day. I'm probably averaging around 18. For a new doc in ANY town (or practice), that's awesome. I can't complain. And for the most part, nobody waited beyond 20 mintues past their appointment time, which is a very good thing. I had to schedule in a spinal tap to my schedule yesterday, and when you have almost 20 patients to see, that can be a challenge, but I still pulled it off (somehow). Point being, long day. And on the drive back to SBS, I was talking with my nurse about how much Shiner Mark and I drank while living in Houston. Which brings me to:

Best things about living in Texas:
1. Meeting Amy and Daniel (you guys know you'll always be the best thing about Texas)
2. Receiving good sports medicine training--granted, INCREDIBLY painful at times, but regardless, a great experience, and I won't be where I am today without it.
3. SHINER BEER. OH SO YUMMY. Turns out the liquor store just down the street from us sells it for a relatively inexpensive price, and wouldn't you know, after busting me hump in Craig today, Shiner sure sounded good. Although I did impose the 5 dollar liquor tax (AKA PowerBall lottery ticket) because, after all, Mark wasn't meant to be a computer lackey.

So here is my ode to Shiner. Still can't say for sure that it is my FAVORITE BEER EVER, but it sure comes close. Damn German Texans. Those guys were GENIUSES. Huh. What a funny word. Especially for a Texan. D'OH!!!

11 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

You can't imagine how much we miss you. It is definately not the same without you guys!!

posted at 5:53 AM

 
Blogger B.J. said...

How much is Shiner there? Here it is generally $7 or $8 for a sixer. I just hope the Dems can get something passed to tax the richer people. Other than that, I just expect new problems, mostly economy related.

posted at 7:51 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Shiner is about 7 bucks total. Yeah, it'll be interesting to see what the Dems do and don't do--sounds like Pelosi has a ton of stuff she wants to do right away. We'll see if anything actually happens or not, but at least more problems are actually being discussed. I'm sure new ones will be made, too, though--no party is perfect.

posted at 9:17 AM

 
Blogger mark said...

MarkFest IV was a perfect party.

posted at 9:51 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't doubt for a second that you deserver all the praise you get - and more to come!

Yea - I'm pretty stoked about the election results! Can't wait to see what happens in the next 2 years!

posted at 10:45 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Is MarkFest IV the one where you threw the keg in the pool?

posted at 11:56 AM

 
Blogger Captain Word Sleuth said...

yes MFIV was the Keg throwing event. Also the one where the parents were all there so also the reason it was the last MF. I believe the septic system was filled and the screen door was broken. Over all good time.

Congrats on all your success in CO, Dana. I never doubted you for a second, except that time you tried to drill a hole through your head.

posted at 7:59 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Awww! Amy and I miss you guys too! When she can drink again, we'll plan our trip to Steamboat! P.S. I heard your lifesaver story! Fantastic. You're a superhero! - Daniel

posted at 7:58 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I DID NOT BREAK THE SCREEN!!

posted at 10:01 AM

 
Blogger JK said...

I was there for that MarkFest. One of the craziest parties ever. Maybe the craziest was the New Year's party at Dave's place for 2000. Wasn't there a naked girl passed out in sombody's closet?

I miss you guys.

posted at 10:36 AM

 
Blogger mark said...

Actually, JK, she was naked in Steve's closet, passed out in a pool of her own vomit.

I also recall vomit on the steps from the first floor to the basement the day after that party.

I believe it wasn't until our 2001 NYE party that champagne made it to the ceiling, but I could be mistaken..

Also, I thought Markfest IV was the one before the keg-throwing, septic-tank-filling one, but maybe I'm misremembering...

posted at 11:52 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home