Travel funnies (updated)

Pretty much every Friday, there's a column at salon.com called "Ask the Pilot" - basically, a professional pilot's view on all things airline. He has good perspective on things and often keen insights. But sometimes he's just funny.

From this week's article:
There's a certain weirdness to the idea of food being a potential terrorist weapon, but since the TSA has insisted on bringing this absurdity to bear, here's a brainteaser: mashed potatoes. A few years ago we learned that holiday fruitcakes are prone to set off airport explosives detectors, but in light of the new liquids and gels prohibitions, what about mashed potatoes? Mashed potatoes are a hybrid threat: not quite solid, not quite liquid, and only semi-gel-like (unless they're overcooked). Am I allowed to bring a Tupperware container full of mashed onto my flight?

You think this is silly, and it is, but a week ago my mother caused a small commotion at a checkpoint at Boston-Logan after screeners discovered a large container of homemade tomato sauce in her bag. What with the preponderance of spaghetti grenades and lasagna bombs, we can all be proud of their vigilance. And, as a liquid, tomato sauce is in clear violation of the Transportation Security Administration's carry-on statutes. But this time, there was a wrinkle: The sauce was frozen.

No longer in its liquid state, the sauce had the guards in a scramble. According to my mother's account, a supervisor was called over to help assess the situation. He spent several moments stroking his chin. "He struck me as the type of person who spent most of his life traveling with the circus," says Mom, who never pulls a punch, "and was only vaguely familiar with the concept of refrigeration." Nonetheless, drawing from his experiences in grade-school chemistry and at the TSA academy, he sized things up. "It's not a liquid right now," he observantly noted. "But it will be soon."

"I wonder if this isn't a test," murmured another guard. The dreaded, mind-bending, what-if-it's-frozen test.

"Please," urged my mother. "Please don't take away my dinner."

Lo and behold, they did not. Whether out of confusion, sympathy or embarrassment, she was allowed to pass with her murderous marinara.

Everyone knows my feelings about this subject from a former rant (that I can't be bothered to look for right now).

Do any of you plan on getting on planes for this Holiday? Will you be taking any potential contraband with you?

[Update]: new Thanksgiving-themed "Featured Video"

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

The day the suspected terrorist plot was foiled in the U.K., we flew to San Diego with the newly adopted security restrictions, which have been relaxed a little. But Karen managed to sneak some lip balm thru. We felt so scandalous.

posted at 1:18 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Also on the way back from Cancun, we realized we had penicillin WITHOUT a prescription with us! How would we get it through customs? I was seriously considering stuffing it in my bra until we realized we were making a mountain out of a molehill. In the end, customs didn't even look in our bag.

Also, the lip balm Erik talked about was LIQUID lip balm! SCANDALOUS!

posted at 2:22 PM

 
Blogger JK said...

That is funny, it made me think of dinners sophomore year. "these mashed potatoes are soft..."

I don't consider chapstick (the kind in the tube that you have to roll up)to be a liquid or gel. It is clearly a solid. If it was out of it's protective plastic case it would still remain in tube form.

I hope the next time I fly things will have calmed down. Lip balm is a necessary item for me, especially on a flight.

posted at 2:31 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

"Lip balm is a necessary item for me, especially on a flight."

Must...make...inappropriate...comment...but I better not, she is the mother of my unborn demon afterall.

posted at 3:10 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home