Football + Muslims = Awesome Sunday

rsupersizeme
Originally uploaded by Dana Fitz.
So Mark and had a great day today--I got up early to go and sing in the choir at church this morning. It is the first Sunday of Advent, and I've always loved Advent season since I was little. I can't even tell you how much I love my church here. Crap. I still need to sign up as an official parishoner.

Call has been pretty decent this weekend. I won't say anything more than that because I'm still on for another 12 hours.

I didn't go out on the mountain today because I just kept getting too many phone calls, but made the most of the day regardless. We went to the Old Town Pub, our new favorite Sunday lunch place, and watched the first half of the Vikings/Bears game. Despite growing up a Vikings fan, I still found myself cheering for the Bears. The whole boat scandal thing just tainted the Vikes too much for me. I guess I'm officially a Bears fan now.

Did a little Christmas shopping over halftime, then headed home to watch the end of the game. Go Bears!! I feel asleep on the couch after being assured that the Bears had the win, but unfortunately the nap was cut short by work phone calls. Oh well.

Got up and did a TON of Christmas cards, finishing off the rest of them (SO much easier than wedding thank yous) while sorta watching the Giants and the Cowboys. I hate the Cowboys.

Read a little more from Devil in the White City--I'm lovin' this book--before Mark convinced me to watch a little of this new show he's been Tivo-ing on FX called "30 Days". It's produced by the same guy (pictured here) named Morgan Spurlock, who did the documentary "Supersize Me", where he ate nothing but McDonalds for a month. Great movie, by the way. So now he's got this TV show on FX where he takes 30 days and puts himself in various situations.

The first episode we watched was where he and his fiancee tried to live on minimum wage for 30 days. Fascinating. They went to Columbus, Ohio, to do it, and it really was a thought-provoking look into, well, a lifestyle that I brush with probably every day in the office, but never really looked long and hard at. Wow--I don't know how some of the families in my office do it. I couldn't. Gave me a whole new perspective on the working poor. This is America, right? If anything, it just reinforced a feeling of social responsibility. Everyone needs a little help now and then, that's for sure. I'm thankful I'm in a position to be able to actually lend a hand. And it's a good reminder about not being wasteful, making the most of what you have, and being happy for where you are. I'm so incredibly lucky.

So after that episode, we watched another (since they are having a marathon) about what it's like to live as a Muslim for 30 days. Morgan picked this guy who you KNOW was his college roommate/drinking buddy to do it. He left his wife and young son in Charleston, WV, to fly to Dearborn MI, where there is the largest concentration of Muslims in the country. And this guy, Dave, ended up living with a host Muslim family for the next month--the host guy is a doctor, the host guy's wife is in law school. And wouldn't you know, West Virginia Dave is a hard-core Christian. I've always been fascinated by other religions--as much as I love being Catholic, I believe understanding other religions is just as important as understanding my own faith. We all share this planet, after all. Fact of the day---the scarves that Muslim women wear, it's based on the scarf that the Virgin Mary always wore. Huh. Fascinating.

The whole episode was a great crash-course in Islam, and I basically came out of there wanting to read my books on the different religions of the world, and contemplating buying a copy of the Koran to learn more. I know this much--Muslims are so hard-core devout, you have to respect them for that. Praying 5 times a day--it's an incredible example. There was one instance where Dave got in this huge argument (over religion, of course) with his host family over dinner. But then it came time to pray--everyone took a good 5-10 minutes, spent their time praying, and afterwards, tension wasn't as high, and discussions were civil again. And there you go.

OK, point being, other than Peep Show on BBC America (which I love for COMPLETELY different reasons), the next best show on TV that you've never heard of is "30 Days".

And then it was time to watch the Broncos and the Seahawks, and the damn Seahawks just won the game in the final seconds. Grrr. I'm becoming a hard-core Broncos fan too. I don't like to see them lose. And I love watching Champ Bailey get interceptions. He's my hero.

OK, post is long enough. I'm going to bed. Here's hoping the phone calls are over!!

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I agree on the 30 days show. I think my favorite was one about living off of the grid. Hopefully your tivo caught it.

posted at 7:37 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Didn't know that show was still on. Think we saw it a year and a half ago. Definitely interesting.

posted at 8:31 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

crap! there was a marathon?! I guess my MCE machine didn't catch them w/ the season pass! D'OH!

More likely, I forgot to re-add it when I upgraded.

Katty and I saw a few episodes recently - one with a Minuteman living with a bunch of undocumented immigrants in LA and another where Morgan spends 30 days in the slammer. Good stuff! Hopefully they will play more of the ones I haven't seen yet in the near future!

posted at 2:03 PM

 
Blogger Cap said...

The boat thing turned you off to the Vikings? Reading a police report where Fred Smoot used a, and I quote here, "double-donger" on a couple of strippers is a new kind of funny I had never seen before. And besides, my team blows (cleveland) so these are the things that keep me interested in NFL.

posted at 5:01 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yeah, but your Browns beat the Chiefs in OT yesterday!

posted at 5:33 PM

 
Blogger JK said...

The Browns winning made me a very happy woman! It was a great game!

posted at 7:32 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Checked the PVR and sure enough, all 3 "30 days" were on it! Sweeet...

posted at 10:46 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home