Props....

image
Originally uploaded by Dana Fitz.
to Great Grandma Nina (God Bless her soul).

So Mark and I are having some egg nog and brandy, and for some reason, every time I drink brandy I think of my Great Grandma Nina, who passed away about 9-10 years ago. We NEVER drink brandy. But damn, does it ever taste good with egg nog.

What I really remember Great Grandma Nina is her drinking her "highballs" with Bubble-UP and some nasty cheap liqueur (usually brandy). God bless her. She was very French (it's her maiden name of Monette that my middle name of Monet comes from) and I think she would have approved of me marrying an Irishman. But maybe with a little tsk-tsk'ing under her breath. She really wanted my brother Brent and me to marry "good French kids". And it was the crazy Monettes that made our family Catholic. Thanks Grandma.

We went to a really fun holiday party tonight. Interestingly, the party started at 5 and was over by 8:30--because everyone (except us) had little kids that needed to go to bed. We're getting old. The funny thing is, I like it. I loved having little kids underfoot everywhere you turn, and of course all the kids were as cute as can be. We're ready for kids. And of course, the little 3 year old girl there had Mark wrapped around her little finger in no time. At one point I was looking around for Mark and found him in the playroom reading a book to her. She was adorable.

Today was a pretty fun day--after a REALLY slow morning, we had lunch at our favorite Sunday place, and then bought some new furniture--a great bar, and another little piece for the dining room. Best part--stuff was half off. Boo-yah. And it totally has the worn-in look to the wood, so when someone (such as myself) happens to spill on it, it will just add "character" to the piece. Genius.

OK, that's about it. Gonna go finish my drink--cheers Great Grandma Nina!!

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Are you sure she wasn't reading the book to Mark? I heard he was fascinated with the Bearenstein Bears.

posted at 9:28 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just had my first 'nog last night! No brandy in it though... still trying to recover from NYC!

posted at 9:35 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home