Sick again. [edited]

maybeitrytoohard
Originally uploaded by Dana Fitz.
So another great picture from explodingdog.com. This one's called Maybe I Try Too Hard. Don't we all.

I've been sick again for the past couple of days, but I feel like I'm on the upswing, mostly because I haven't done crap the past few days except read books and sleep. I finished Devil In the White City, which I absolutely loved--sated both the Chicago lover and history buff in me. I also read Into The Wild by Jon Krakauer today. I loved his book Into Thin Air, and when Mark and I were finally unpacking our boxes of books a couple weekends ago (our new furniture in the guest room looks awesome) I came across it. Actually, I came across about 10 books that I've always meant to read, but haven't gotten around to. After a couple ill-fated journeys into fiction, I'm starting to realize that most of my reading interests lie in non-fiction. I can't remember the last modern fiction book I read that I really enjoyed (classics are always awesome). Any suggestions?

So since I finally was feeling better today, I went out and got my hair cut, mailed out some Christmas presents, and did a little shopping. I'm in charge of dinner tonight because Mark is busy with work and fixing up the trunk--I asked him if tacos were OK, and he just laughed at me and said "you're in charge". That means he's getting tacos. Yummm.

Nice/not so nice thing about being sick is that I'm off work until Tuesday. Sucks to be sick over time off, but I'd rather have the time to sit on me arse than muscle through work with screaming kids and be sick, too. My patience dips to unfathomably low levels. And it ain't pretty.

OK, enough random thoughts--I was a little bored and a bit disturbed after reading Into the Wild, so this provided a pleasant diversion none-the-less. A few closing thoughts:

1. I used to like the Giants, but if they really are signing Barry Bonds, they are no better than the Yankees or Cowboys.

2. I really need to get my hair cut more often than every 5 months. Scraggly is not a good look on anyone.

3. I gave a talk this week at a physical therapy place in town. The PT's afterward thanked me with a 6 pack of Guinness. My education is paying off in SO MANY ways.

4. Front page news from Fargo: the winner of America's Next Top Model is a native Fargoan. And a natural blonde. And yes, I'm embarrassed I even have this knowledge.

5. Watched Pirates of the Caribbean 2 and The Cooler last night. Pirates was OK, but I like The Cooler more--and not just because it had Ya, you betcha William H Macy and the hot bar owner from Coyote Ugly whose character was from ND in it.

6. Maybe I'll make Guinness Beef Stew this weekend--but then again I've been saying that for the last few weeks. I need to go make tacos.

[edit]: I uploaded this as Dana was trying last night but I broke the internets when getting the chest together. See next post for what I mean. -M

8 Comments:

Blogger mark said...

#5 - I'm sure what she meant to say was that The Cooler has Filliam H. Muffman in it. Or half of Filliam H. Muffman, anyway.

I also enjoyed Pirates II and The Cooler (but seriously, what's up with the dumb ending to Pirates? Sequel city), but after seeing Superman Returns: Suck City I think I may have even enjoyed watching the NY Giants play.

OK, OK. NOTHING is so bad it makes watching the Giants worthwhile...

posted at 9:09 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You watch your mouth. N.Y. Giants are awesome and apparently you don't keep up with the times, they filmed both Dead Man's Chest and the 3rd movie at the same time, so it being open ended should have been expected. I thought Alec Baldwin was fantastic in The Cooler and he's the only reason we watch 30 Rock.

posted at 10:44 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't read a ton these days...(unfortunately) but awhile ago I read "The Kite Runner" (can't remember who it is by) and that was a pretty good fiction. Its about a family living in Afghanistan while the Soviets were in control, and then when the Taliban took over. So, I guess you get a little of that history in there too.

posted at 5:36 PM

 
Blogger JK said...

"The Kite Runner" is a great. If you like that book try "West of Kabul, East of New York". It's non-fiction. Most new fiction is pretty crappy these days. After reading "The Corrections" I lost all hope for contemporary fiction. That book is terrible.

Here are a few books I have read in the past year that I really liked:
"Life of Pi" (fiction)
"Memoirs of a Geisha" (fiction)
"1776" (non-fiction)
"Founding Mothers" (non-fiction)

I can't think of anything else, if I do, I will let you know. I usually stick with the classics also. Anything by Kurt Vonnegut or Ray Bradbury is usually awesome.

Hope you are feeling better!

posted at 6:36 PM

 
Blogger mark said...

JK - Life of Pi was really good. I think we have a copy lying around here somewhere that I can give to Dana.

BJ - yes, I know they filmed them at the same time, but that's no excuse. They filmed Back to the Future 2 and 3 at the same time, but they still made an effort at closure at the end of the second one.

posted at 7:54 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm feeling a bit under the weather myself - still trying to finish a book I started over two months ago!

posted at 9:32 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

We were in Chicago for the weekend and my cousin recommended that book. Glad to hear it is good. I'll have to read it sometime.

posted at 6:41 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I read Memoirs of a Geisha too, (I think that was between kids #1 & #2 :) I enjoyed it so much that I refused to see the movie because I just knew that it would ruin it for me!

posted at 6:45 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home