Slow cookin' foo
So, I've finally taken the time to use the slow cooker I got for XMas (thanks, hon!), and so far I've used it three times since opening it less than a week ago.

But today, I think, may be the best yet. The slow cooker itself came with a cookbook, and D got me a good one to go along with it as well. Yesterday I made a great bolognese, which I admit I was a bit skeptical of but turned out awesome (and we have 2.5 quarts of it left - these recipes are enormous), and earlier in the week I was lazy (hey, I can't spend all morning prepping dinner on work days, OK?) and made a slow-cooker-meal-in-a-bag that was so-so (but made the house smell like Thanksgiving, which was nice).

Anyway, today I think will be my crowning achievement thus far - I'm making BBQ brisket in the slow cooker. To go along with it, I made some homemade BBQ sauce, which I must say tastes freaking awesome. I was really skeptical of it, but it tastes so good I'm no longer worried. The brisket cooks (in beer and onions, after marinating overnight in other goodness) in the slow-cooker for 8 hours, then goes in the fridge to marinate in its juices again, then is sliced and put in the oven (smothered in the homemade BBQ sauce). It's not even 10am, and I'm ready for dinner (sadly, it's not ready for me yet).

Also: GO BEARS.

I went on a great ass-kicking snowshoe yesterday (knee-deep snow is both fun and exhausting to snowshoe through). D and I were going to press glass (ie: get in line for the gondola before the mountain was open) to take advantage of a little snow we got Friday night, but she got a call in the middle of the night and had to go to the hospital instead, so I went snowshoeing because I (a) needed exercise and (b) needed to get out of the house.

So, that's it. Since the brisket recipe says it serves 12 (shoot, I just remembered I have to make the coleslaw), we were thinking about inviting some folks over for dinner tonight, but since it's a new recipe I'm still not sure if that'll happen yet.

Extra bonus: I have tomorrow off, but I've been really stressing about work lately (a bunch of stuff out of my control, some stuff within my control), so I might go riding to burn some of it off. Also, if the brisket is as good as I'm hoping, I might have to burn some of that off as well.

1 Comments:

Blogger Jessica said...

sounds good! i wish we could come for dinner. I am starting to experiment with the crock pot too. I don't have as much time to spend on dinner these days! :)

posted at 10:38 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home