Planning underway

So this past weekend I took the time to figure out exactly how much money we'll (hopefully) have by - and after - closing, so I know what my fix-up budget for the new house will be. Happily, it was a little more than I expected.

So, I'm starting to figure out what we're going to do before we move in (as you may recall, we have a two-month window between our closing date and the day we need to be out of our current rental). Because Dana is insistent, we're tearing out the carpet in the master bedroom, along with getting the nasty texture off the ceiling and repainting (actually, we'll be repainting pretty much everywhere).

Additionally, we need to remove the carpet from the basement and frame in an office for me, since the house will be not only our home but my office as well. So in addition to stripping out the carpet down there (and building a wall), we'll be putting in hardwood floors downstairs.

While we're at it, I think we'll be putting in hardwood floors in the dining and living room, the upstairs hallway and our master bedroom (as it turns out, hardwood floors aren't terribly more expensive than installing carpet, so that decision was easy).

So today, I ordered a bunch of floor samples from Simple Floors. I would have also ordered samples from Lumber Liquidators but for whatever reason they were only allowing me to get three samples at a time (and then the friendly support rep disconnected me). I'll get to them later.

Otherwise, things are going well. D and I finally joined the gym, I've been cooking up a storm, and we're preparing for my sister and her boyfriend Roy from New Zealand who are coming to visit later this week.

Also, I ordered the few supplies I need to keg, which should be arriving tomorrow. Perfect timing too, since Roy works at a brewery. So, we'll keg the Scottish Ale and they'll be able to enjoy it before leaving next week, and we can brew the IPA that I've had sitting here since September, waiting to be brewed.

That's all for now, folks.

7 Comments:

Blogger Pablo said...

So is it forced air heating at the new place? I was wondering if it was possible to put hardwood over those heat radiating tiles that you have at your current place. Actually, read an article in Wired about high-tech prefabbed homes that use radiant heat through all the floors!

Anywho - sounds like fun! How much of that house-work are you going to try and tackle yourself?! ;)

posted at 3:27 PM

 
Blogger mark said...

Actually, the new place has hot-water baseboard heat (like electric baseboard crossed with a radiator), so we're keeping that.

There are certain kinds of wood that you can put over a radiant system, some kinds you can't. Obviously, we won't have to worry about it.

As for what we're going to do ourselves...

All of it! (Luckily, Dana's partner Sheila's husband is a carpenter and has built houses before, and her partner Wes remodeled his house as well). Not to mention the fact that TiVo has been LOADED with DIY shows lately. :)

Don't worry - everything will be well documented! :)

posted at 4:33 PM

 
Blogger lefitzgerald said...

that roy sure is attractive :)

posted at 8:56 PM

 
Blogger mark said...

That's what I imagine he looks like.

posted at 7:21 AM

 
Blogger Amy said...

While you are collecting samples, do they have bamboo flooring? I saw it in a home show where the owner wanted everything to be green (solar paneling, etc). Anyway, it looked nice. I was curious.

I LOVE home renovations. Too bad I don't live nearby, I would TOTALLY work for ya in exchange for babysitting :)

posted at 9:56 AM

 
Blogger mark said...

Yeah, I'm looking at some bamboo and considering cork for the kitchen (to be done later), which are both very green.

I have a feeling we're going to go with something engineered (which will provide a more stable platform and is a less wasteful than standard hardwood floors). I would love to get some reclaimed wood but it's so darn expensive...

posted at 10:01 AM

 
Blogger Mike said...

Reclaimed wood is nice - really nice. But you're right, stinking expensive. It was a clever (and now rich) person who thought to go looking on river bottoms for big logs that sank during river-driving operations. The best part of our old house are the old southern yellow pine floors. Unfortunately I'm a little OCD about them and freak out everytime I drop a jar or something in the kitchen.

Cork would be an awesome choice in the kichen. It's comfortable under foot, friendly with water, and holds up to wear and tear.

If you're going to be in the house for a while, you might consider upgrading your boiler to one of the new ultra-efficient (and tiny) models.

posted at 8:08 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home