Yikes!

It's been ELEVEN DAYS since my last post. I blame Dana for your lack of material to read. Maybe I'll even post TWICE today to make up for it... Maybe...

ANYHOO

Yesterday, D and I took a trip down to Vail for a Home Depot run (yes, it takes us an hour and a half to get to Home Depot). The plan was to acquire some needed tools for the home remodel and various other supples needed for the effort, but we came away with a bonus as well: a lawnmower! Yes, we're excited because we just bought a lawnmower (and I don't mind telling you we got a great deal on it). We're so domestic, it's sickening.

Anyway, among the other substantial (and planned) purchases were a reciprocating saw (aka Sawzall), a utility tub for the garage/workshop, and a fish tape (I will be running a lot of low-voltage wires for various projects). Overall, a very successful trip.

One other fun fact: we don't like Vail. It's weird, but I immediately felt like it was just too big. What has become of me? The weird thing is, people were still there skiing. On a mountain of slush and mud, I can't imagine that was much fun. They're probably just looking for bragging rights ("Open longer than any resort in Colorado!"), but it seems terribly lame to me.

In other news.... there is not much other news. We close in a week and two days (I never did get that countdown up) and I'm busy planning everything I'm going to do to the house.

Currently, that includes (but is not necessarily limited to):
  • Demolishing a wall, and replacing it with a half-height wall,
  • Framing out and finishing an office for myself downstairs
  • Installing wood floors throughout the first floor,
  • Installing proper attic access (my first purchase, from Ace, was an attic ladder. It will also be one of the first projects I tackle),
  • Wiring for whole-house audio (and installing speakers, controls, etc),
  • Wiring ethernet connections (home networking),
  • Centralizing the phone and cable/satellite drops in the same utility room as the home networking gear,
  • Drywall, patching, paint and trim of all the same.
I also intend to hire an electrician to add some more lighting in my (new) office and relocate switches/add circuits as necessary.

Currently under review is expanding the master bedroom closet, which would otherwise be the smallest closet I've ever had in my entire life (not to mention had to share with someone else!).

All in all, not a small bit of work. But, we have two full months between closing day and the day we have to be out of here - so given that timeline, I'll know what kind of pace I need to maintain to get this stuff done. And I have an army of volunteers (ok, two) that are willing to help and are thankfully experienced.

Oh, and some other details: there is "popcorn ceiling" throughout the first floor now, and before knocking that down wholesale, I have to take down a sample and send it off to a lab to test for asbestos. Additionally, there is a horrible texture on the master bedroom ceiling that also has to go. We're hoping to remove a window in the new den downstairs and add a door, but we're waiting to see if the budget allows (we found some great doors at HD yesterday, so we might be back on for that little detail), and I'm seriously considering putting hardwood upstairs as well because if we don't do it now, I don't think it will ever get done.

Unfortunately, the plans have taken on a life of their own and I am therefore forced to cut out my piece de resistance, the two-way fireplace that would have lived between my office and the den (and would have looked flipping sweet) - we just won't have the cash for it, and it would be the easiest thing to add in later (as opposed to the whole-house audio - something else we don't at all need, but would be much more difficult to add at a later time). So, the fireplace is out for now.

I'm updating my sketchup with the new plans (it will pain me to remove the flipping sweet fireplace), but I'll get some picures/files up soon for your review.

Hope everyone is having a great weekend!

6 Comments:

Blogger Jessica said...

Wow! You are going to be busy, but sounds like fun! Too bad you my dad couldn't come and help with the electric stuff!

posted at 9:15 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Is the picture a reference to the robot you plan to build to help you with all your remodeling?

posted at 8:11 PM

 
Blogger Pablo said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

posted at 11:17 AM

 
Blogger Pablo said...

Its gonna be a busy two months! :)

I still have the fish tape that we "borrowed" from Rick all those ages ago! :)

posted at 11:21 AM

 
Blogger mark said...

Yesterday I was having some concentration issues, but thankfully am over them today and was able to spend part of lunch today figuring out approximately how much cable I'll need for my wiring extravaganza, so I placed an order for all the audio stuff and a good portion of the networking stuff. I'll now have the supplies to get plenty done for the next couple months.

I'm only putting off ordering the wood floors until we get back in and can re-measure. Measure twice, order once! :)

posted at 2:44 PM

 
Blogger B.J. said...

That is a lot of work. If Skybus flew to Steamboat, I'd come out and help.

posted at 7:10 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home