House update, day 2.

This is good news! Except it means I have no exuse to hire someone to scrape this texture off our ceiling, and have to do it myself.

Yesterday I headed over to the house after work and continued my DIY efforts. Wes came over to help and we installed the new attic ladder so I can get up and down to do all the wiring that should start in earnest sometime next week. Not satisfied when we completed that task at quarter after 9 (and after saying goodbye to Dana), we attacked the wall where the insert for the wood-burning stove is. It was quite a chore - there was drywall, of course, but it was topped with cement backer-board and plaster and lath that all had to come down before we could make the wall smooth - and the drywall beneath was a disaster (as a process of their putting up the backerboard, we supposed), so we took that down as well. Also, in order to remove those weird vents we had to get back in the wall anyway. Find of the evening: a (presumably) 30-year old Miller Lite pop-top can, which now sits on the makeshift mantle (really just a piece of 2x4 used for framing).

I did take pictures yesterday but nothing was that interesting so I didn't bother to upload them.

Tonight I'll probably work on getting the ceiling texture down in at least one room (either the bedroom or downstairs). Probably nothing interesting visually there, so I'll skip pictures today.

The plan is to have all demo done by end of day Saturday. There will be some plumbing questions we have to address but it shouldn't be anything major, and will hopefully be stuff we can handle ourselves. If not, I'll have to call in a pro sometime next week.

And the demo of downstairs will be the likely entree of the time-lapse video, so hopefully that will be available for your viewing pleasure sometime Sunday or early next week.

I have some pictures but didn't bother uploading them.

Labels: ,


2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

did you work your real job at all this week?! :)

congrats! sounds like lots of progress!

posted at 11:27 PM

 
Blogger mark said...

Remarkably, yes - I have been able to get some work done this week, but my productivity was tempered by the walkthrough on Monday and a day off
Tuesday for closing. Likewise, I've been so tired I have no doubt my quality of work has been affected a bit.

That being said, I've been good about putting in a full day and heading to the house after work (though today I'm probably going to head out at lunch to do some cleanup). I totally crashed yesterday and left early (as soon as the destruction was over - I climbed in the attic and took a look around, then Dana showed up and we left). I was in bed by 10:30 at the latest and slept soundly until 7:30ish, which is a weekday record for me lately.

I needed sleep. It's going to be a LONG weekend!

posted at 10:39 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home