Long weekend (in more ways than one)...

So I took last Friday off to take a trip to Home Depot and get some more supplies for the house (including the doors for my office - double French doors that are going to look awesome when they're installed). I also special-ordered new closet doors for our bedroom. Since doors are expensive, I think that once every couple months we'll get a new door for the house and install it, just so I never (ever) run out of projects for the new house (I'm only half joking here).

In addition to the doors, I bought a new drill (with a 1/2" chuck, which I desperately needed - the cordless we have is good for unscrewing things and small jobs, but with all the wires I'm going to be running and the work we have left to do on the house, this only made sense - and I got a great deal on it, and I've already used it about two dozen times). We also got a ton of can lights for installation around the house, new electrical wire (for the lights and to replace what we've moved around) and balusters and nule posts for our new bannister. Also switches, outlets, gang boxes.. I guess lots of electrical stuff.

We got a free hedge trimmer, even though we don't have any hedges. I'll try to return it for store credit next time I go in.

So, that was Friday morning. Then we got back (Wes drove his huge truck so we could bring the doors back) and Wes had to run, so I got a little work done and then headed home. Friday night we had Dana's office's "end of winter" party (winter is the busy season for sick kids), and Saturday was back to work at the house. We met a bunch of neighbors for the first time, and I decided I am definitely going to heaven as the nuns who live next door (really!) couldn't start their lawnmower, so I started it for them.

I finished framing a wall for our newly expanded closet, and then D came over and we took turns mowing the lawn for the first time. We took turns because the damn grass was so long that after one row (out and back) we had to empty the bag of clippings. This took quite some time, and filled up two trash cans (one 65-gallon!) and a construction trash bag (also huge). This wore us out, so we entertained some visitors and then headed out to see 28 Weeks Later, which was pretty good but not as good as the first (28 Days Later and kind of had a lame ending.

Then we watched a movie that had been sitting here for two months (ah, Netflix, thank you) and went to sleep.

Sunday I woke up super-early and grabbed a bite to eat, waited outside Ace until it opened to get some construction adhesive (for framing walls downstairs against the concrete subfloor) and went back to work at the house. I got 1 and one-third walls framed yesterday (the "third" of a wall will become more clear after pictures). I took a break in the middle to go to the bar and watch the Cubbies win with Dana, and then it was a couple more errands (needed more nails, bought a weed whacker that I intend to use at lunch today) and went back to finish that "third" of a wall at the new place.

Overall, a long weekend to be sure, but not as productive as I would have liked. And I want to get all the wiring done before we head to Chicago on the 24th (which means I have to get all the framing done ASAP), which means some late nights at the house this week.

It should be easy to stay away from the rental, however, as Dana is working and on call all 5 days this week (and on call all weekend as well) as her partners are roughing it at a conference on some islands in the Caribbean.

That's it! Long post! I'll get back to you later - we SHOULD have stuff for the audio controls shipping this week which should at least accellerate my desire to wire the house a little. I already have speakers hooked up in the living room and dining room, but without the controls I have to run downstairs to change the volume, turn them off, etc.

Later!

2 Comments:

Blogger oldblogger said...

Go Bob Villa go! :-) I wish I had your drive and dedication.

Tell me you aren't sending all those grass clippings to the landfill?!? Perfect time to start a compost pile.

posted at 7:40 AM

 
Blogger Pablo said...

keeping busy seems to be an understatement!

posted at 9:42 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home