Drywall! (and, late night)

So, as you can see, the drywall guys showed up. Click on the picture above for a couple pics (not nearly all of them).

I got to the house yesterday about 4:30 and walked in to see a guy standing, well, right where this picture is looking. Told him everything looked great, asked how long he had been there, and realized he didn't speak a lick of English. Oh well.

So, he escaped upstairs and I kept looking around. I eventually made my way upstairs (EVERYTHING was covered in drywall!) and found the guy from downstairs with two others. Then they kind of wandered out of the room and I kept checking stuff out. They were seriously almost done (hanging the board; they still have to tape and put joint compound everywhere, and sand everything down and make it pretty). By the time I made it downstairs again, I realized they were gone - I had scared them away!!

Anyway, the only two problems were: they drywalled over the fireplace surround, which I had yet to put insulation back in, and they tied what was supposed to be a free-standing column into a nearby wall.

I had my work cut out for me last night. Actually, I didn't get home until after 11, and only that early because I begged Wes to come help when he could. Last night I got behind the fireplace (tight squeeze to be sure!) and insulated, having to remove only two small panels of drywall that they had just put up, and then insulated the laundry room wall (between the laundry and den) as a friend recommended to cut down on noise from one to the other. I'm convinced now that is the best insulated wall in the house, funny enough.

Anyway, we also had to frame a wall for the 1/2 bath, put a stud in the ceiling so they could drywall the laundry room, install a final speaker, build speaker boxes into the den wall (for in-wall speakers eventually), and all kinds of other fun stuff.

The only thing really remaining for me to do is to build a column that mirrors the support one (seen in the picture above, holding up the big beam and mistakenly attached to the laundry/den wall), and then they can have at it as far as the drywall goes. Hopefully they can finish this week (though I'm not holding my breath) so we can prime (and paint?) and start on the downstairs floor this weekend.

It's starting to look like a real house! Finally! (and just in time, too!).

Anyway, D has been busting her butt packing (the guest room downstairs is done, lots of stuff on the main floor is packed, etc), and I am one exhausted puppy.

I'm gonna run now (I have a real job, which of course has been major-busy lately), but feel free to comment away!

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm not sure I agree with your layout. I'm going to send you my suggestions and I suggest you start over...

:P

posted at 2:12 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Laundry room? I thought you guys beat your clothes against rocks in the river out there in Colorado.

posted at 6:41 AM

 
Blogger mark said...

Actually, that's quite right, Erik. It's right by the patch of land where we grow all our weed, next to the Gaia shrine where we hold our Mother Earth celebration of the solstice. But Dana's modest, so we had to bring the laundry-doing inside. But our soap is organic and biodegradable, so...

posted at 8:21 AM

 
Blogger mark said...

New pictures up at Picasaweb.

posted at 9:21 AM

 
Blogger Jessica said...

Looks good!

posted at 7:08 PM

 
Blogger mark said...

I did speak to Shorty, the drywall guy, yesterday directly. Apparently his crew showed up the following day and didn't know what to do because we took down some of their work (as I noted - they made a column a wall - not my fault - and I had to take a little down to put insulation in the fireplace surround - totally my fault). I explained this to him and he said "maybe they can come by tomorrow morning."

Hopefully they do.

Oh, and we got our other floors yesterday as well! We're all set to go, but need that drywall finished!

posted at 9:03 AM

 
Blogger mark said...

Just so you all know, Dana was supposed to update about three different times this weekend, so get on her case about not posting in FOREVER.

Not much has changed. I'll try to get an update in soon.

posted at 7:45 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home