House Update (UPDATED)
Sorry, no time to illustrate this post with a picture, trying to keep it quick.

After Friday's trip to Home Depot (is there a "you will spend several hundred dollars more than you think" rule there?), came home to find the plumber at work again. Yay. He mostly finished, and would be done if it weren't for a hose barb that couldn't be re-placed, and therefore had to be replaced. I got some bad work done Friday (in drilling through the top plate of an existing wall to drop some wire for the home audio control, I clipped a power line for a light, which took about 4x as long to fix as the initial task. That really sucked.). However, I got in touch with the home audio people about another issue I was having and got that resolved lickety-split.

Friday night we had dinner with Dana's partners. Instead of running home to shower and change, I stayed at the house and took my first shower there. Can I just say, Holy Awesome! The water felt like it was going to rip the skin right off my body, which makes for the ultimate shower. I was more than pleased. Dana brought me a shirt and we went over to Ron's for dinner and discussion.

Saturday, at 8am I met Wes at Ron's place. Ron is expanding one of the rooms in his basement, and has probably 800 ft^3 of land excavated and the foundation of the new room poured already. But there was no way to get from one room to the next, so we had to take the opening for a window that already existed and turn it in to the opening for a (double) door. Unfortunately there was a solid 1' wide concrete wall in the way. So Ron rented a masonry chainsaw and a huge hammer drill and the three of us went to work. I spent most of my time on the other (in-)side of the wall with the shop vac, inhaling carbon monoxide and sucking up the water that the hose attached to the masonry chainsaw was throwing in the room. Fun stuff.

Anyway, the deal was, we would go to Ron's in the morning, then Ron and Wes would come and we would finally remove the flue for the old coal furnace, which did nothing but take up space in the house. I got released early (when the wall removal became a two-man job) and went home to continue my wiring. Wes showed up a couple hours later and he and I were able to get rid of the flue alone, so we did that and patched up the hole in the roof. Then Dana came over with lunch. Burritos!

After lunch I got back to work. More cable and phone and network installation. (I'm running out of network cable REALLY fast). Went home about 7pm in a really bad mood. I'm pretty sure I was dehydrated, and certain I was exhausted.

Sunday was more of the same, but I started at 9 instead of 8. Tore up my hands doing some difficult (but necessary) electrical work - adding another outlet in the office that I know I would regret not adding if I didn't do it, and switching the washing machine to a different circuit - as it was, it was sharing a circuit with the TV (and stereo, etc) and lights in the den, and I didn't want the operation of the washer interfering with that stuff. Successfully switched it to a circuit that feeds some lights and outlets in the garage. No problem!

So, things are progressing. I'm approaching the end of my work (though there's still lots left), and the only problem (which isn't minor) anymore is the lack of any response from the drywall guy. Today begins the search for a new one.

Again, I'll get pictures before we get the drywall up, but until we have to I really don't feel like spending the time. Too much to do!

UPDATE: At lunch I left to go meet Shorty, our drywall guy, on his walkthrough. The plumber was there putting in the new hose barb and is now DONE! And the even better news: Shorty will be coming over TONIGHT to start on the drywall. I'm going to finish wiring downstairs (all that remains is running speaker cable for future surround) and put up the 1/2 bath wall ASAP so they can finish drywall down there first. Then: Paint and floors! In the meantime, he's going to begin upstairs. After I told Dana this, her message consisted of: "woo-hoo!! We're gonna have walls!!!"

I second that.

I guess I have to start taking pictures before they cover everything up, huh?

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

sounds like a busy weekend!

posted at 10:29 AM

 
Blogger Jessica said...

Busy, busy, busy! I can't wait to see the photos.

posted at 6:00 AM

 
Blogger mark said...

So last night I spent several hours at the house. I consulted with a buddy in town who does high-end A/V installs and he gave me some tips on wiring for surround (just so the wires are there for when we eventually upgrade- might as well while we've got someone coming in to patch up the holes I make anyway) and running lines from outside for other services (phone, Satellite, etc). I also picked up some extra cable and some low-V boxes from his warehouse. Pretty sweet stuff in there.

Also, he recommended I put insulation in the wall between the laundry room and den (where the TV will be) to cut down on any noise coming from in there. I had to get some insulation for the fireplace surround anyway, so that will be a quick fix. Also also, he recommended building speaker boxes right in to the wall, so if/when we put in-wall speakers in there, they've got a tight space to do their work. I will be doing that as well.

Oh, and Shorty didn't show. Oh well. (JERK!)

posted at 8:07 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home