Weekend report, lights, and Big News.
What a weekend. I probably spent almost 20 hours working on the house, and though Joe Layman couldn't tell by walking in, if you had been in the house before we started to tear it apart, you could tell. From Thursday through Sunday, I added 16 recessed lights (14 6" lights, 2 4" lights) and changed a TON of electrical wiring as well (to accommodate the new lights and our new needs/desires). And my fingers took the brunt of the abuse. Half of my cuticles start to bleed about halfway through the day and I have cuts and scrapes just about everywhere. BUT, almost everything is working again, and all the lights make a HUGE difference in the house. Things are starting to come together.

Which is a good thing - because as the counter up to the right says (as of this writing), we only have 18 days before moving day. The guy we're getting to do the plumbing should be in sometime this week (the earlier the better), and I hope to finish the rest of the wiring (electrical and otherwise) by Sunday. Then we can get the drywall guy in, paint, and install the floors. The floors for downstairs came in last week and are beautiful - the whole floor is going to be so transformed the previous owners would never recognize it. The half bath is going to remain gutted for now so that when we do (eventually) finish it, we can run wires and plumbing where we need to, then we'll drywall/paint/finish that room. But with the door closed, nobody will ever know.

The "to-do" list is still pretty substantial, but diminishing, which is very encouraging. Details are starting to materialize (that is, I'm becoming more acutely aware of the little things as the "big things" are narrowing down), and after installing the lighting in the living room yesterday (and moving a shit ton of debris from the middle of the room to the corners) I realized just how big the room is going to be, and how much bigger it will seem since we have no furniture for it. :)

After we move in there will still be a ton of work to do (trim, built-ins, a mantle, the aforementioned 1/2 bath) but those are things we can live without until I get around to them. After the major stuff is done, I'll probably take a break from house work and move on to yard work, which is sorely needed.

Unfortunately, I'm going to have to do most of the heavy lifting, painting, and weed-poisoning myself, as..

Dana is pregnant!

Yup. We're just loopy enough to bring another Fitzgerald into the world. Her due date is December 3rd, and we're totally excited. We're 14 weeks along today (everything is in weeks in Pregnancy Land), which leaves us about 26 more to go (basically, a third of the way). We're not going to (purposely) find out if it's a boy or a girl, and the next big home project (probably before the built-ins or a mantle) will be the nursery. If I can find the entry with the ultimate nursery, I'll post a link in the comments, because that's my current plan, girl or boy. I also saw a pretty cool (if UBER nerdy) one here today as well.

Another quick trip to Home Depot is in the cards for sometime this week (I'll be taking a half day) to pick up the doors we ordered for our master closet and some other odds and ends, and I'll probably be taking a lot of pictures before the drywall guy comes so I have a record of what I've done (and where wires are hiding, etc). I'll post an album when I do that.

That's it for now! Back to work for me!

13 Comments:

Blogger mark said...

I totally found it.

posted at 11:21 AM

 
Blogger oldblogger said...

Congrats on the baby news. You two will be super fun parents! :-)

posted at 12:05 PM

 
Blogger Karen said...

Congratulations!!

posted at 12:13 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congratulations!

I liked how you worked that into the bottom of post about home improvement so some people (COUGH - Hutch - COUGH) who have low attention spans don't notice.

posted at 1:31 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Boy or Girl, we're totally naming the kid Edison.

posted at 3:58 PM

 
Blogger mark said...

What about "Einstein"? Just like Doc Brown's dog?

Or, or... Could we name the kid "Doc Brown"?

Doc Brown Fitzgerald

or, in that vein: Mayor Goldie Wilson Fitzgerald. I like the sound of that!

I like it. I'll even build a flux capacitor into the crib. Scott can make it blink for us. How cool would that be?

posted at 4:08 PM

 
Blogger Jessica said...

COngrats Mama and Papa Fitz! Being a parent is the best job in the world! And get used to speaking in weeks because it continues even after the baby is born for about 3 months!

posted at 6:15 PM

 
Blogger JK said...

Congrats!! I am so happy for you two!

posted at 6:41 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congrats once again! Oh... on the baby too!

That finger pic is not what I expected in a baby post! ;)

posted at 11:27 AM

 
Blogger Milaarhus said...

Congrats Mark and Dana!!! And sorry we missed you in Chicago. Next time perhaps..

posted at 8:45 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congratulations Dana & Mark!
Name Suggestions:
1. Patrick = Fitz,patrick
2. Trafalgar Fitz!
3. Conniption = Conniption Fitz

posted at 1:19 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congratulations! Parenting is an interesting journey.....

Colin would think your nursery is pretty cool, although there is not quite enough pink for Ella! :)

posted at 7:43 AM

 
Blogger Amy said...

We are so happy for you guys!

posted at 12:09 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home