Baby Sez
Man, I am such a mess today. I crashed last night around 10:15 or so, and was in the deepest of deep sleep when my on-call phone rang 2 hours later. I ended up having to go in to assist on a C-section right away.

I'm not a huge fan of surgery, but I don't mind assisting on C-sections because it's pretty mindless, usually a short amount of time (30-45 minutes or so) and it's nice to be right there when the baby is born. And I know it helps out the OB's.

But last night was so bad. It was warm in the OR to begin with, and I always hate being in a surgical gown with a mask on--very claustrophobic for me. But for a short surgery--no big deal. So we were about 3/4 of the way through, baby was out, doing great, and had already left the OR for the nursery, and I break out in this nasty sweat. Then I'm feeling a little sick to my stomach. Then a bit more woozy, and then I start seeing a couple stars, and finally had to scrub out before the procedure was completed.

I've never had that experience before in the OR (although, truth be told, during 7-8 hour long surgeries in med school when I was only allowed to "watch" but couldn't really see anything and they wouldn't let me do anything, I'd "get woozy" so I could go back to the doctor's lounge and read). But this just sucked. I was so embarrassed. Although it's way better to excuse yourself and sit down than pass out in the surgical field, which is very poor form. The OB I was assisting didn't realize I was pregnant (I go to the other group in town) and, well, the only good news is the baby is doing great. But I'm a mess today--I had a hard time getting back to sleep when I finally did get home about 45 minutes later, and had a full day today. I can't even read journals in my downtime because I'm just not processing anything.

I didn't get a chance to get any coffee this morning, so I finally broke down and had a Mountain Dew over lunch. Baby sez nobody messes with my momma. Only a few more patients to go....

3 Comments:

Blogger mark said...

Actually, I think D was so asleep that she doesn't even remember that I got a call at 4am and had to work for at least an hour as well. We'll both be pretty lame tonight, I fear.

posted at 4:10 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was wondering why you weren't getting out of bed very fast this morning...

posted at 4:20 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Married couple catching up over blog comments - hilarious! ;)

D - and I quote:

You can do it!

posted at 9:04 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home