Babies with Chest Hair

So Mark and I had our third prenatal class last night. This one was a bit on the boring side for me, as it was all about the newborn, but I know Mark got a lot out of it, which is good. That was kinda my idea about the classes--give me a refresher on OB stuff (which I did 2 months of in med school about 8 years ago) and give Mark an idea about what to expect. Mark even got a chance to practice swaddling a baby last night. He made it look like a Buddhist monk, with just enough of the chest exposed to allow for baby's chest hair to be shown off. Because you know if any baby is going to be born with chest hair, it will be my baby.

I've got today off, which is nice because the weekend was a busy one on call. Not too many crazy phone calls from parents, but I did have a series of calls from the ER starting at 1 in the morning Sunday, then 3, then 4, and I finally went in to see the patient, who has some serious psych issues going on. Did a bunch of stuff in terms of her workup before finding out she has regularly seen another provider in town, and so, thanks to professional courtesy, I was able to hand care off to him about 11 am or so, finish up with my other kids in the hospital, and go home to sleep. Just felt gross all Sunday, and watching Rex and Bears suck it up didn't help any either. At least I slept great Sunday night, and was quite productive at work Monday.

But now I have today off, and will be getting a prenatal massage this afternoon (thanks Jim and Ann!). I need it--my body is way jacked up. Then tonight we're going over to Scott and Gina's for a Corn Dog Challenge. Mark has never attempted the cooking of corn dogs before, so this should be interesting.

What else? Looks like we've got the baby shower date set, and my mom has been looking into flights as well as Mark's mom. Mark and I set up a registry at Babies R Us, which was a new experience. Man, there's sure a lot of baby crap out there. And I find it somewhat amusing that I'm researching breast pumps and being somewhat excited about that. It's not something that I've ever really pictured myself getting excited about, but with hopefully more of our Irish Brood on the way in the next few years, I'm all concerned about durability, easy of cleaning, etc. So strange, and makes me want to kick back with a cold one. A cold one with an O'Douls label, unfortunately, is all I'm going to get. Good times. I feel so old. :)

So I'm 30 weeks and one day today. I've seen some 35 weekers, and most 36 weekers, do really well and go home a couple days after being born, so it seems strange that we could be bringing a baby home in a little over a month. Our nursery is still a laundry/ironing room with unprimed new drywall and crappy carpet, so I guess we need to start working on that. Mark and I did go look at carpet this weekend, but the installation was ridiculously expensive, so I think we're going to check out another place in town to compare prices.

Been watching a lot of Women's World Cup Soccer. The US is kicking some butt now after a pretty tepid first round game against North Korea. They play in the semifinals on Thursday, but since the tournament is in China, I've been having to TiVo the games in the early morning, desparately attempt not to peek at si.com during the day, and then watch in the evenings. Working well so far. Mark and I also started watching Ken Burns' lastest film, The War, on PBS. All about WWII, and really good so far. Considering the thing is something like 17 hours long, I'm sure that will keep us entertained for a while.

And speaking of entertainment, new Sluts in a Hospital starts this week! I've been missing my brain candy.

OK, should probably try and be somewhat productive today. If I have to.

2 Comments:

Blogger Amy said...

Yay for sluts and I've been missing the brain/eye candy too.

I suggest the high end pumps. Well worth it. Bright idea of the day: Step 1, feed baby...then, wait one hour...next, pump at bottle for next feeding...finally, drink beer as your boobs will be off duty for atleast 4 hours :)

posted at 10:49 AM

 
Blogger Jessica said...

Babies R Us registering was SO overwhelming! There are so many gadgets out there you do not need!

posted at 11:59 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home