Birthdays and such
This is a picture of my dream birthday cake.

I did not get this. Probably for good reason.

So I'm 28 weeks pregnant today, that's a little over 6 months for those of you counting at home. We have our next OB appointment tomorrow, so I'll be able to find out officially how much weight I've gained so far, but I'd guesstimate about 20 pounds. Ice cream has become an acceptable substitute for beer.

I had a good birthday last week, only had to work a half-day, and then Mark and I went to Ski Haus and got me some sweet skate skis, bindings, and poles. Got a great deal, between my birthday discount and mark-downs since it was last year's models, saved about 40%. We held off on buying the boots because my feet could still get bigger (permanently) with this pregnancy, and besides, they didn't have much of a selection anyway. I grew up cross-country skiing classic style (got my first pair of skis at 5), but wanted to give skate skiing a go--looks like a blast, you can go so much faster, and supposedly if you're comfortable ice skating or roller blading, the motion isn't too hard to pick up. I'm super excited to use them, especially since they form the core of my lose-pregnancy-weight plan prior to the first installment of Weddings Bonanza 2008.

Mark also got me a Derrek Lee bobblehead doll. A HUGE Derrek Lee bobblehead doll. Appropriate, as he is not only my Cubs boyfriend, but also shares the EXACT SAME birthday as I do. It is now in a place of honor in my office.

Another of Mark's super-awesome presents, that officially confirms I am now an adult: he called the plumber to come out and fix the drain on my shower, which has been leaving me with well over an ankle deep's worth of water each time I'm in there. I've been bugging him to call the guy for weeks, and he came out on my birthday, so now I have an appropriately draining shower, which rocks. Now that's a great birthday present.

To round things out, this final present was really for the both of us. After selling my CRV, we decided we needed a little extra money in savings, so we didn't splurge for the new TV as previously planned. Instead Mark ordered all the goodies for our custom master bedroom closet so we can actually use that space instead of just admiring its beauty. The 11 boxes of this closet set arrived today--woo hoo! Mark has his work cut out for him.

We had a great time this weekend--started it out with Mark making me a belated birthday dinner at home of lobster, corn, and bacon-wrapped scallops. Sweet. Saturday we spent trying not to watch college football as Mark's alma mater, Miami of Ohio, was playing my alma mater, University of Minnesota, in football for the first time in about 20 years. Unfortunately, the only way we could watch the game was the BigTen Network, which wasn't broadcasting it until Sunday morning at 7 am. We both managed to avoid seeing the outcome on Saturday, and spent that evening going to a fundraiser for Humble Ranch, a great program for handicapped/ADHD/troubled kids in the area. Sunday Mark got up early to start the homemade chili, and then we proceeded to watch the Golden Gophers kick some Redhawk ass in triple overtime. Thank you, Big Ten Network. Mark keeps going on and on about the "moral victory" of the Redhawks, which didn't seem to come up much while he was trash talking DURING the game. Followed that up with a Broncos last second win (Scott, Gina, and Owen came over to help cheer. And eat chili) and then a disappointing Bears loss. Oh well.

OK, time for some lunch. We have our first prenatal class tonight. Note--NOT Lamaze class. Eff Lamaze, I'm getting an epidural. Anyway, the class goes into all the stuff right before and after the birth--how the labor stuff goes down, what to expect, etc. Should be good times. Although I have a feeling the newborn info will bore me to tears, but I am interested to see what parents are being taught in this class. Mark can take notes. And then obliterate all new knowledge with some adult beverages afterwards, like any good soon-to-be father. :)

12 Comments:

Blogger mark said...

A) There were 15 boxes, not 11.
B) How did we "not come up with much" and yet tie the game in the fourth, first OT and second OT? That Big 10 education isn't doing you much good!
(Besides, our TD in the fourth quarter was GOOD, despite the bribed ref's call to the contrary).
C) Adult beverages after!?!?! YES!!

posted at 12:37 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Have fun at your 6 month appointment, are you getting another ultrasound? Those are awesome.

Birthing class was interesting. I think I was more annoyed to have paid $80 for 2 classes which kind of soured me on the whole experience. The C-section video was so gross, I thought B.J. was going to pass out.

I am jealous that you guys get the Big 10 network, our cable provider doesn't carry it. We haven't been able to see the last 2 Ohio State games. We do get ESPN U so we will probably get to see Miami at some point.

Sounds like you had a fantastic birthday!

posted at 1:08 PM

 
Blogger Karen said...

didn't know University of Minnesota was your alma mater - my dad used to teach there!

posted at 1:39 PM

 
Blogger mark said...

Oh yeah? Your FACE used to teach there!

posted at 9:05 PM

 
Blogger Dana said...

Oooh, SNAP!

posted at 10:16 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I didn't think about a certain advantage of pregnancy - Mark gets a designated driver for 9+ months! ;)

Glad you had a great birthday!

Sounds like you both have your work cut out for you in the coming months! ;)

posted at 12:00 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Today's OB appt. went well--nice and fast. They took blood for my glucose test, which was normal, got my shot of Rhogam in the arse(I'm A-, Mark's O+), and had another ultrasound. Baby is 2.6 pounds, I'm 20 pounds heavier, and the kid was sucking on his wrist throughout so we didn't get the best face shot, oh well. Next visit is in 3 weeks!

posted at 1:14 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Epidurals are awesome. Best invention EVER. Trust me- I have had 3! :)

posted at 9:46 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

HIS wrist?!

Does that mean you know its a boy! (or did you know that already and I'm really behind)

posted at 12:28 PM

 
Blogger mark said...

Nah, we switch off every month, so we don't have to refer to the baby as "it". This month, it's "he". Last month, it was she.

posted at 2:04 PM

 
Blogger Amy said...

That birthday beer looks yummy. Glad to hear little Fitz is doing well :)

posted at 9:35 PM

 
Blogger Jessica said...

Happy birthday, Dana! Glad to hear all is well with Baby Fitz! Ultrasounds were my favorite!

posted at 6:32 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home